First road bike, how is this?

Aaku
Aaku Posts: 20
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, i'd like to get into road cycling and i'm a complete beginner. I'm quite active already through various other sports, mainly running. I used to ride the MTB a few years ago but have never owned a road bike.

My budget is around £700. I'd like to use the bike for commuting and for keeping fit, long rides too.

I've seen [this](https://www.merlincycles.com/eddy-merck ... 1779.htmll) (Eddy Merckx Blockhaus 67) and it looks good for the money. What do you guys think? I live in W Yorkshire and it's quite hilly here if that makes any difference. Is there anything else you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's a well specced bike for the money. Decent alu frame, carbon fork, full 105 groupset, Deda bars, Prologo saddle and a Shimano wheelset. Can't see any of the cost-cutting that manufacturers sometimes employ to hit a price point.

But again, at this time of year you can pick up some proper bargains as retailers try to shift the outgoing 2017 stock. And at that kind of price it's hard to pick a bad bike these days. Biggest problem is the sheer choice.

1) make sure you get the right size. Don't just go by the sizing info on the web, if possible at least have a sit on a prospective purchase, better still a bit of a test ride. A road bike can feel a bit odd at first if you've only ever ridden mountain bikes. If in between sizes, get the smaller one.

2) decide if you're going to ride it a lot in the rain. If so, consider a bike that will take proper mudguards.

3) make sure you get the right size...
  • Aaku
    keef66 wrote:
    That's a well specced bike for the money. Decent alu frame, carbon fork, full 105 groupset, Deda bars, Prologo saddle and a Shimano wheelset. Can't see any of the cost-cutting that manufacturers sometimes employ to hit a price point.

But again, at this time of year you can pick up some proper bargains as retailers try to shift the outgoing 2017 stock. And at that kind of price it's hard to pick a bad bike these days. Biggest problem is the sheer choice.

1) make sure you get the right size. Don't just go by the sizing info on the web, if possible at least have a sit on a prospective purchase, better still a bit of a test ride. A road bike can feel a bit odd at first if you've only ever ridden mountain bikes. If in between sizes, get the smaller one.

2) decide if you're going to ride it a lot in the rain. If so, consider a bike that will take proper mudguards.

3) make sure you get the right size...

Thanks for the help. I'll more than likely be riding in the rain as i'll also be commuting on it so i'll probably need mudguard eyelets. What kind of specs should i look out for on a bike during the sales on a budget of £700?
  • Aaku
    Also, do you recommend picking up a second hand bike off ebay/gumtree? cheers
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're really sold on the Merckx you can probably fit Raceblades or similar.

Second hand can be a way of getting more bike for your money if you know what size you need, and you can have a good look at the thing before you part with any cash, preferably taking along somebody who knows something about bikes. You don't want to pay over the odds for something that's worn out or been crashed.

Bear in mind also that if you spot something suspiciously cheap on Ebay or Gumtree that it's probably stolen...

There's also the possibility of buying from a fellow forum user in the classifieds on here. I've picked up a bargain groupset, some brakes and a virtually new saddle

Failing that just see what the online retailers have in their sales. Wiggle / Chain Reaction, Evans, Ribble, Rutland, Halfords even, Westbrooks, etc etc. And keep looking; discounts can increase as the 2018 stock arrives
  • Aaku
    Thanks, I'll probably hold on to see if anything catches my eye in the next few weeks. New is my preference but i'll keep an eye on 2nd hand sites. i'll check out the classifieds on this site too, thanks.
  • Aaku
    Hi, does anybody have experience of the Genesis bike brand, [the CDF 10](http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... -de-fer-10) looks like a good all rounder and i can get it for £670.

Is a steel bike a good option for an all rounder?
    Is it worth getting Shimano Sora on a road bike, i read somewhere that i should be looking at Tiagra minimum?

Thanks.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Genesis bikes are well respected and popular. Steel is supposed to offer a more comfortable ride but generally speaking they are heavier bikes (the frames are the heavier bits). The CdF would make a solid commuter.

Specification really depends on budget. Sora will work adequately well but will be a bit heavier than the higher grade stuff.

The most important thing is making sure it fits. As a beginner you'll probably not know enough to make sure the bike fits you properly. Either make sure you get the right size and ask for someone locally to help you get the fit right (you may need to change the stem and you will have to set the saddle position). Or buy from a local bike shop and get them to fit you as part of the deal.

You should also budget for some shorts/bib shorts and other kit. You can easily spend £200 on clothing just buying average stuff.
  • Aaku
    Thanks Navrig2. I'd love to get fitted on a bike but it's a bit difficult as the local bikes stores here are so expensive and don't seem to have the models which are on sale online. I've used a fitting calculator that i found online and have taken various measurements which helps (not ideal probably). I'm 5'4" with an inseam of 29/30".

At the moment i've budgeted separately for a helmet, pedals, pump and cycling shoes. Going to wear my running shorts and shirts until i'm confident enough to go full lycra :) . As Keef66 said above the biggest problem i'm having right now is choosing a bike, there are so many that i've come across that look good and i keep changing my mind everyday :? Really just want to be on the road but don't want something i'll regret later either.

I'd really like to go for a gravel bike as they seem so versatile but they are a bit more expensive than road bikes that i've seen with better gears.

Other bikes that i've come across which are on sale are:

1. Planet X RT 58 V2 - Tiagra - £549 (http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBPX58TI/p ... -road-bike)

2. Eddy Merckx Blockhaus 67 - Full Tiagra groupset - £629 (https://www.merlincycles.com/eddy-merck ... 01784.html)

3. Felt Z85 - Tiagra £529 (comes disassembled- so would need to pay to have it built seperately) (https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-z85-r ... 93845.html)

4. Genesis Vapour CX 20 - Tiagra £750 (https://www.rutlandcycling.com/374140/p ... green.aspx)

Do you guys have any thoughts on the above models? (i know i'm being a bit annoying now).

Thanks again.
  • Hugo7777
    Hugo7777 Posts: 49
    Hi I had the Felt z95 for my first ever bike and must say it was nice, did a few hundred mile rides on it with no problems. Have you looked at the Decathlon bikes they have one about £650 and it comes with 11 speed 105 and they get good reviews
    Good luck
  • If you're going to commute on it also, just make sure it'll fit a nice sized tire to easy the ride. I'd say up to 28mm. At that price point you won't get a bike that has any built in damping in the frame.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    As others have said, fit is critical. I would further add to that be especially careful sizing a Merckx bike, their frame size is very different to others. I can generally throw my leg over a 54cm and know I can make it fit - I tried a Merckx a while back though and found that the best fit was a 49cm - a 54cm Merckx would have been like sitting on a gate.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Aaku
    Hey, just thought i'd give an update. I ended up buying the Eddy Merckx Blockhaus 67 Tiagra for £570. Got the bike last week and it fits very well. Also completed my first 40 mile bike ride today and it was so much fun. Nearly fell over trying to unclip at one point though. Thanks for all of your help.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    You made a good choice they look like a nice bike & very good spec for the money.
  • Aaku
    Thanks Moonbiker!