Ass sore.

jacobpeacock
jacobpeacock Posts: 66
edited August 2017 in Road beginners
So 10km into my ride and my ass suddenly hurt specifically where the bone is located. It felt like an enormous hand pinching my ass. My saddle is a fizik arione. Also my neck was getting sore. I used the drop bar most of the time. Any suggestions for posture and a saddle?

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    6 miles is a very short distance. Rather than looking to buy your way out of this I'd suggest checking your bike fit and position and getting your body conditioned to riding by doing progressively longer rides.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    going on your previous posts .. it would seem like the neck issue has been playing up since May at least, you ride a lot of time in the drops ... and you have a fascination with Aero !

I would hazard a guess, never having met you that you are trying to push a too aero position all the time. so saddle high and forward, front low, in the drops ????

I would look at setting your bike up to fit properly and comfortable for endurance and get used to that first
  • Svetty wrote:
    6 miles is a very short distance. Rather than looking to buy your way out of this I'd suggest checking your bike fit and position and getting your body conditioned to riding by doing progressively longer rides.

How about my saddle? if is will help,,my sit bone is about 3-3.5 inches , and if not very flexible. I'd like to go low budget on my saddle. My current saddle was just free.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    going on your previous posts .. it would seem like the neck issue has been playing up since May at least, you ride a lot of time in the drops ... and you have a fascination with Aero !

I would hazard a guess, never having met you that you are trying to push a too aero position all the time. so saddle high and forward, front low, in the drops ????

I would look at setting your bike up to fit properly and comfortable for endurance and get used to that first

Actually my position isn't low and my seat is in a normal height. I did a bit of research and I found an article saying you shouldn't put your head in a position directly ahead of the road. You should tilt it down a little. Not sure thought if this true.
    And also when I felt the neck sore, I rode in the hoods and then it felt ok.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    every customer who has complained of a painful saddle that I have then done a bike fit on has had there saddle not properly positioned and the seat the wrong height. Correcting these as if by magic cure the saddle comfort issues.

My hunch is it is this.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How far do you normally ride ? Did you get that bike fit you mentioned getting ?
  • cougie wrote:
    How far do you normally ride ? Did you get that bike fit you mentioned getting ?

I normally ride 30k. Now I am training for a 60k a few months from now. And as for the bike fit, I couldn't find any shops near my area.
  • cougie
    30k - that's a running distance more than a cycling one....
  • cougie wrote:

I just started a couple months ago. And I don't have that much training due to school.
  • cougie wrote:

Also, what is considered as a cycling distance? 40k?
  • cougie
    I started cycling as a school kid. Even then we'd be doing 80k rides by ourselves. When we joined a club that went up again.
    You can progress your distance quite quickly on a bike. You don't even need an aero helmet or aero bars for it ,!
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    It may be worth getting in contact with a local club. I'm sure one of their old timers would quite happily have a look at your bike set up and advise possible changes.

Just send them an email asking if they could help you out.
  • cougie wrote:
    I started cycling as a school kid. Even then we'd be doing 80k rides by ourselves. When we joined a club that went up again.
    You can progress your distance quite quickly on a bike. You don't even need an aero helmet or aero bars for it ,!

Oh. The aerobars were a gift
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    cougie wrote:

:oops: ... err 5k is running distance for me .... 10k if I don't want to return home for a while
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

And also when I felt the neck sore, I rode in the hoods and then it felt ok.

I think you've answered your own question.

Drops occasionally, hoods mostly, break it up with a bit of on top of the bars, hands flapping over the edge.

Sorted.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Never go cheap on another saddle. When you've got 40 miles to go and your 'arse-hatchet' of a saddle is chainsawing through your nether regions, you'll pay anything.
    Bontrager stockists do a 'buy it and bring it back if it doesn't work. '