Rear light with good weather protection

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I've spent the last 2-3 years using a Moon comet and cheaper Jobsworth variant all of which have continually failed once they've been exposed continually to wet roads. I only have one bike which doesn't take mudguards so this will obviously mean the light takes more hammer.

Whilst not looking to spend the earth, can anyone recommend a rear light that isn't too expensive (loathed to spend a lot in case it fails) but is durable.

Thanks

Comments

• I'd recommend an Exposure Blaze but on the cheaper end I'd also recommend these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/knog-light-blin ... hips-rear/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-strip-drive-pro-300/
  • supermurph09
    The Knog was actually top of my list, I'll continue looking but good to know it got a recommendation. Thanks.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I bet you could sugru a bit of an ass saver mudguard underneath the light. That would give it a lot more protection.

Rain is ok but spray off a wheel is like a jet wash.
  • supermurph09
    cougie wrote:
    I bet you could sugru a bit of an ass saver mudguard underneath the light. That would give it a lot more protection.

Rain is ok but spray off a wheel is like a jet wash.

Great idea, I'll probably try that this year.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I love my see.sense Icon. My bike does have mudguards, but they're designed to be well sealed, and I've found their customer service to be second to none. If one did fail due to water ingress I'd expect them to replace it (possibly even out of warranty in my experience).
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have the earlier see sense. If i have it on my summer bike in the rain it does let water in (no guards).

You can open it up and let it dry out but its not a long term solution. I'd rather risk my smart 0.5W lights like that - they're under a tenner and crazy bright.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I have the Lezyne Micro Drive Rear Light. About £16.
    It seems to be well sealed but I haven't used it extensively in the rain.
  • graeme_s-2
    Fenix wrote:
    I have the earlier see sense. If i have it on my summer bike in the rain it does let water in (no guards).

You can open it up and let it dry out but its not a long term solution. I'd rather risk my smart 0.5W lights like that - they're under a tenner and crazy bright.
    I had an original see.sense rear (got an opportunity to buy a rear Icon cheap, so took it), and still have an original front. The Icon is definitely sealed more thoroughly than the originals. Mine is protected by a mudguard, so I can't really compare how it performs with spray. Point taken re price though.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I'd avoid Lezeyne lights

I had a micro drive that bounced out of its cradle and was lost forever and the front light the rubber switch fell off. User error? perhaps
    I also had a zecto or its equivalent and water got into the usb charging socket and now its rust central.

Current light of choice is a knog blinder. So far easy to charge, easy to turn on (yes, Exposure TraceR i'm looking at you) and relatively inexpensive.
  • graeme_s-2
    Vslowpace wrote:
    I had a micro drive that bounced out of its cradle and was lost forever
    We had a rear micro drive that someone found in the road in our office. We bought a new cradle for it and had it as a spare light
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Ive found a double AAA cell rear light, with a tight wrap of electrical tape around the join between lens and backing makes them pretty waterproof. I've done this with a couple of different rear lights which have not stood up to water ingress and found they then last ages. Simple enough to remove the tape when the batteries need changing and apply a new wrap once the new batteries are in.

PP
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've used the Smart Half Watt light with a good dollop of Vaseline around the seal to waterproof it.