• philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Also - got to love the classic Quick Step caps
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Nibs is such a dude.

still laughing

that really was priceless

Call the rozzers, that was a proper mugging.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    WTF were Chaves, Bardet and Aru playing at? A chance to put a good gap into some GC rivals but they just wanted to sit on Froome and let Nibali back in!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    RichN95 wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    1. FROOME C. SKY 08h 53' 44''
    2. DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO D. QST 00' 02''
    3. ROCHE N. BMC 00' 02''
    4. VAN GARDEREN T. BMC 00' 02''
    5. NIBALI V. TBM 00' 10''
    Sky
    Future Sky
    Ex Sky
    Rumoured Sky

Brailsford tried to buy Nibali a couple of times. I just. Any put that in a snappy way.
  • Pross wrote:
    WTF were Chaves, Bardet and Aru playing at? A chance to put a good gap into some GC rivals but they just wanted to sit on Froome and let Nibali back in!

Weren't people whinging about people working with Froome to do the same in the Tour though?

Must admit to being rather amused, however - Nibali really ought to have swept past twirling a dastardly moustache...
  • rick_chasey
    Unrelated but Gesink was at the race today.

Still in his corset/split thing after his accident on stage 9 in the Tour.

DHxvjOgXoAADUqR?format=jpg&name=large
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313

Gesink needs to get a corset designed for a non-lactating geezer and the cameraman needs to get fukcing soundie...
    The latter is the reason we're so often subjected to shiteness on't telly. The sound is poor and the picture is wonky.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Other than that, I look forward to today/tomorrow when everyone will be raving about how Team Sky had the balls to take the race on and smash it so early and draw out the real contenders rather than the PR mincers.

C'mon, that was Fenton Flappy Nads wafting his knackers at everyone and asking if they'd like some. The Stickleback of Messina said, yes please, Mr Froome, if it's not too much trouble.

The big difference between Froome and Nibali is that Froome has always won his GTs because he beat the other contenders: Nibali won because the best contenders got taken out by misfortune or weren't there to start with- the 2nd place rider on GC for the 2014 Tour was flipping Peraud! The 2nd place rider on his 2010 Vuelta was doped Mosquera...
    That's the the other thing I look forward to being taken into account, in the interests of balanced punditry.
  • Nibz gave us #TaxiGate for which I for one will be forever grateful

#TeamNibz
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Other than that, I look forward to today/tomorrow when everyone will be raving about how Team Sky had the balls to take the race on and smash it so early and draw out the real contenders rather than the PR mincers.

C'mon, that was Fenton Flappy Nads wafting his knackers at everyone and asking if they'd like some. The Stickleback of Messina said, yes please, Mr Froome, if it's not too much trouble.

The big difference between Froome and Nibali is that Froome has always won his GTs because he beat the other contenders: Nibali won because the best contenders got taken out by misfortune or weren't there to start with- the 2nd place rider on GC for the 2014 Tour was flipping Peraud! The 2nd place rider on his 2010 Vuelta was doped Mosquera...
    That's the the other thing I look forward to being taken into account, in the interests of balanced punditry.

Yep, I've always felt Nibs is hugely overrated. Especially when people talk about his "descending ability" which really isn't anything to write home about.
  • Has Wout done much racing since his crash? Maybe needs a bit more racing under his belt.

I for one was looking forward to Bertie's retirement as it would mean no more pistolero celebrations (cynics would argue we have been pretty much guaranteed that since brokenleggate if not before), and lo! Along comes that ruddy shark thing. God, please no! (Good mugging of Fenton and the others though, still not enough.)
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Yep, I've always felt Nibs is hugely overrated. Especially when people talk about his "descending ability" which really isn't anything to write home about.

Isn't the Nibs 'god of descending' thing a Kirbyism? Fenton is better than Nibs at the down bits, Bardet is more than a bit good.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Has Wout done much racing since his crash? Maybe needs a bit more racing under his belt.

I for one was looking forward to Bertie's retirement as it would mean no more pistolero celebrations (cynics would argue we have been pretty much guaranteed that since brokenleggate if not before), and lo! Along comes that ruddy shark thing. God, please no! (Good mugging of Fenton and the others though, still not enough.)
    I thought the shark thing was priceless - so tacky and shite. The whole "shark of messina" and calling his dad the wolf and stuff too - Massive pile of cheesy rubbish.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I think Froome should start doing one too - I reckon a rhino horn would work.
  • rick_chasey
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Isn't the Nibs 'god of descending' thing a Kirbyism? Fenton is better than Nibs at the down bits, Bardet is more than a bit good.

No.

Quick search on here finds a thread exalting Nibali's descending in 2012.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I think the Nibs as descending god came about because he was on the same team as Basso, who descends about as well as me (ie terribly)
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Frankly, as soon as Nibali is off the bike and talking I quite like him - he is a bit of a sh1t on the bike tho. He did a section on descending for Eurosport during the Giro and it was brilliant. The shark celebration is almost so naff that it is cool - almost but not quite. The teamcar boost was just brilliant dick-dastardly scheming - he deserved to get chucked but it was gobsmacking to watch
  • imatfaal wrote:
    Frankly, as soon as Nibali is off the bike and talking I quite like him - he is a bit of a sh1t on the bike tho. He did a section on descending for Eurosport during the Giro and it was brilliant. The shark celebration is almost so naff that it is cool - almost but not quite. The teamcar boost was just brilliant dick-dastardly scheming - he deserved to get chucked but it was gobsmacking to watch

It really is one of my favourite moments in all my time watching bike races
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    That shark thing was what we used to do in the university bar when one of our comrades was out "sharking" a young lady to embarass them from across the room. Brought back memories :-)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    larkim wrote:
    That shark thing was what we used to do in the university bar when one of our comrades was out "sharking" a young lady to embarass them from across the room. Brought back memories :-)
    Indeed
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Gesink needs to get a corset designed for a non-lactating geezer

I was instantly reminded of something I saw a while ago, where someone imagined what male superheroes would look like if they were drawn (and costumed) in the same way as female ones...
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    ^^ missed this about Gesink. What happened? Looks more than a tad uncomfortable
  • rick_chasey
    johnboy183 wrote:
    ^^ missed this about Gesink. What happened? Looks more than a tad uncomfortable

Broke his back on stage 9 in TdF.

Uphill..

Guy is one of the most unlucky in the peloton.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Ouch!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    I think Nibs descending is more about taking risks than actual skill. The big surprise for me yesterday was he caught Froome but Pozzovivo managed to stay with him.
  • Pross wrote:
    I think Nibs descending is more about taking risks than actual skill. The big surprise for me yesterday was he caught Froome but Pozzovivo managed to stay with him.

That marries up with the view in the peloton referred to by the likes of the Cycling Podcast, that Nibz is an idiot on the descents
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    The whole "shark of messina"

I was in Messina recently and they had a large outside exhibition of cycling photos, lots of famous faces, none of Nibz. :lol:
    Correlation is not causation.