Fitting rear light on steel mudguard

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited August 2017 in Workshop
I've ordered a new rear light that will need two small holes drilled in my rear mudguard. Has anyone drilled holes in a mudguard before? Will I need a drill bit for steel? I'm going to have to remove the mudguard to do this. As it's gloss black, it'll be really easy to mess this up and scratch it badly, so I'm just looking for advice on the best way to do this.

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Is it a steel mudguard?

I've drilled holes in mudguards, just put a bit of wood between mudguard and tire. You might have to drop the wheel out a bit to get the wood in, but it's a bit more solid to drill with the wood jammed between tire and mudguard. Put the bike back down so the wheel is shoved back in and jams the wood. Much quicker than removing the mudguards.

Gouge the mudguard where you want to drill with something sharp, like a small screwdriver, centre pop, drill bit, to stop the drill bit from skidding about, or just start slow until the drill bit has got going.

Final tip, don't drill through the wood into the tire.....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd take it off the bike. Sit it on a block of wood. Work from the inside. Use a hammer and centre punch or a large nail to create a small dimple to stop the drill bit wandering.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Your light will be roughly wheel axle height, I prefer them to be up much higher, seatpost is best imo.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 on being higher up.

Although watch it if you have a long coat - I've seen people hide their lights completely with a coat tail or a front basket amazingly.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I also have a small red light on the back of my helmet for use in dead of winter commuting, not too bright.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Drill a pilot hole and all will be fine. Wood between mudguard and tyre sounds cool.

You're drilling a hole in a mudguard, not building the space shuttle.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rumbataz
    I want to avoid having to remove the rear wheel as it's on a bike with roller brakes so a fair amount dismantling has to take place on either side of the bike - a lot of hassle just to drill two small holes in the mudguard. I found a curved bit of metal that slides in between the mudguard and tyre, just about, which should protect the tyre.

The light is just for aesthetics and won't be the main light on the bike.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    rumbataz wrote:
    I want to avoid having to remove the rear wheel as it's on a bike with roller brakes so a fair amount dismantling has to take place on either side of the bike - a lot of hassle just to drill two small holes in the mudguard. I found a curved bit of metal that slides in between the mudguard and tyre, just about, which should protect the tyre.

The light is just for aesthetics and won't be the main light on the bike.

Eh?

Why?

etc.
  • rumbataz
    LOL. Coz it looks nice, 'innit? :mrgreen:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Why not just glue it on - something like Araldite will never come off and as you're intending to drill holes in the mudguard it'll be buggerred if you take it off anyway......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Christ, I don't seem to have enough time to do the things I need to do without engaging in frivolous aesthetic lighting projects. How the other half lives!
  • rumbataz
    It's looks like there's a minimum height off the ground that it needs to be for it to be 'road legal'. I've given the work to a bike servicing company who will also sort my rollerbrake issue out (it looks like the lever and/or adjuster barrel is knackered). I haven't got the confidence to dismantle the rear wheel to get at the mudguard, and I wouldn't be able to fix the brake problem anyway. Can't wait to get it back and sit on the Brooks saddle!
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    keef66 wrote:
    Christ, I don't seem to have enough time to do the things I need to do without engaging in frivolous aesthetic lighting projects. How the other half lives!

I think Rumba is a lady :wink: