Carbon tapered forks.

skyeflyguy
skyeflyguy Posts: 110
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi I am looking for recommendations for a full carbon fork and steerer.
I need 1 1/8_1 1/2 tapered.
I'm replacing as current forks don't have enough clearance for wide 25mm rims and 25 mm Conti 4000s which come up at 28mm+ wide so I would think I need something that has clearance for 28 mm tires?
Budget up to £250, so guess ENVE are out.
Your help appreciated.
Thanks Garry.

Comments

• skyeflyguy
    Probably should have also said I need non disc and that it is for a Cannondale supersix. :D
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Don't bother, just let a few psi out of the tyres?

What psi are you running and how heavy are you? (Asking because so many people run pressures too high).
  • Kinesis Tracer 1.5?

I have these on my GranFondo Ti V2 and use 28 Conti's with guards. Plenty of clearance, however you would need a deep drop calliper to suit.
  • skyeflyguy
    mfin wrote:

What psi are you running and how heavy are you? (Asking because so many people run pressures too high).
    Hi I don't think I will be able to lower the pressures enough to get the clearance that I need. Running 80psi at the moment. I weigh 72kg.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    skyeflyguy wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Hi I don't think I will be able to lower the pressures enough to get the clearance that I need. Running 80psi at the moment. I weigh 72kg.

I meant for comfort not clearance, but yeah you've got no pressure to lose really. It was worth a check.

This is for comfort though yeah?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I bought a fork from here recently:
    https://www.bikesportparts.de/gabeln/rennradgabeln/?p=2

Good prices, hasn't exploded under me yet.
  • benpatton wrote:
    Kinesis Tracer 1.5?

I have these on my GranFondo Ti V2 and use 28 Conti's with guards. Plenty of clearance, however you would need a deep drop calliper to suit.

Running the Tracer with these:-
    http://www.bdopcycling.com/BDop%20OFFSET%20HOLDERS.asp
  • skyeflyguy
    mfin wrote:
    skyeflyguy wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I meant for comfort not clearance, but yeah you've got no pressure to lose really. It was worth a check.

This is for comfort though yeah?
    Yes for comfort. I have 2 sets of wheels that have 25mm rims. I can feel a big difference when I run 25mm tires with lower pressures. Maybe time for a new bike. :D
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The fork for the 2nd Gen SS Evo has the clearance you need. Having said this, I can run 25mm tyres on Pacenti SL23 wide rims on my Gen 1 SS - running 80 PSI on the front. Just avoid GP4k 25mm tyres - these are not the most supple/comfortable tyres as well as coming up oversize. Try Veloflex clinchers......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • skyeflyguy
    Svetty wrote:
    The fork for the 2nd Gen SS Evo has the clearance you need. Having said this, I can run 25mm tyres on Pacenti SL23 wide rims on my Gen 1 SS - running 80 PSI on the front. Just avoid GP4k 25mm tyres - these are not the most supple/comfortable tyres as well as coming up oversize. Try Veloflex clinchers......
    You guessed it ......it is gp 4ks! 8) they come up massive on Hed Ardennes + rims. Thanks will have a look at veloflex. Do you know how wide they are on your Pacentis or are you using something else?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    skyeflyguy wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    You guessed it ......it is gp 4ks! 8) they come up massive on Hed Ardennes + rims. Thanks will have a look at veloflex. Do you know how wide they are on your Pacentis or are you using something else?

26mm on these as they are wide rims.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D