New bike stand

Welshjim22
Welshjim22 Posts: 22
edited December 2017 in Workshop
I am looking at a new bike stand. Just bought a carbon Giant defy so fancy a new stand with new clamp to clamp seat post.

I have been looking at the x-tools stand also branded raleigh and Bikehand for £56 from wiggle.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-home-me ... ilver-one/

Semi tempted by park tools PCS9 or 10. But being Steel concerned that they will rust as i use my stand for cleaning.

Any experiences with either?

Comments

• defycomp2
    defycomp2 Posts: 252
    I have an older version of this (FatSpanner) and it is absolutely fine for 99% of all maintenance jobs; the only thing I probably wouldn't do/attempt is unscrewing an external BB unless you just used the stand to support the bike with the wheels on the floor.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The wiggle stand above is fine, works well for most maintenance jobs and cleaning, nice and steady.

As with any stand like this, clamp the seatpost and let the bike swing to settle where it wants to through its C of G, then tighten the part of the clamp that stops the swinging.
  • park stand is coated, used mine for washing MTB for years and is good as new, no rust at all
  • Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I am doing my first build, and I went with an X Tools stand. It is pretty good at pricepoint and have no complaints.

That said, you want a bike stand that clamps at the bottom (which generally costs more):

workstand-race-pro.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&a=7

With a carbon bike, you don't want to clamp the stem. Ideally, you don't want to clamp a carbon seatpost either. I think the defy has a propriatory seatpost so you may not be able to put in a temporary alloy one for the build.

My bike is a standard 31.8 seatpost so I was able to use a "donor" alloy seatpost:

i7eWDtDRm_qDB4ixfCZjTJHtViwu5Xx0_1jhUk2rduJcf2snKzXM7x28LdlNWISPi-LRpbfju8YA94_mtHtD19kqiu7rN-PJn7escHG90Ne1V2fca4rh7V9SyOejzpsj7a4HW-CGxcgiiccx957fTtpyqCuiyslQljLyM0pJT1EPQrVqahCvDn1VzIMj18Jf6pVqw3li4nYIL7ssOG7UerKV55KNneSFklmlS58BsLEOgMAPF2AElNK8I5OeYAYMfi0VtQBB4JX_L6htJ5nms99eUJl2YfNpAZgBkq24Nq01ewYxjqn-V-9AYKfl6VgMHU7EKUM806fgkP9IJl1JE8lv2jXRhfjnGg7gKFjm_nKDomD_EmJynd05uq7F1iPi_rQYrGGjrMghcnuLxsS640zCnHw_BwpYIwBdKr8Dzwz0euSdk7ONc4VeNdDaEalz3xq42KhNcxhNPQ9g_iKMWXUPZASK47ZSwZ4WhkovskNOW-QNZ8J3bd2oZMfEdrttqOV9dlTHak4gmzL2GPRwIQTEB-AcdC0SsKW4RITp7bVPUutfGhQB6v-p12PT__6CB2W5e2XKX7a3XjAUSJRvC-VuaTG7AGH3izMh0Q2hXMIFPA=w1408-h1056-no
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

With a carbon bike, you don't want to clamp the stem. Ideally, you don't want to clamp a carbon seatpost either. I think the defy has a propriatory seatpost so you may not be able to put in a temporary alloy one for the build.

Don't know why anyone would clamp a stem but there you go....

There's no problem at all clamping a carbon seatpost, none at all. It doesn't have to be tight as hell to hold a bike, and letting the C of G settle like I said will stop excessive forces where it meets the frame.

In fact, with the wiggle stand linked, if you can clamp a carbon seatpost tight enough to break it then you're Geoff Capes. Actually, you'll likely as not break the stand's clamp on that one before the seatpost.

If there's ever a need to clamp a carbon bike's toptube then that is when you should be careful, not all carbon bikes are built the same, some will be tough like a seatpost, some will not.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited August 2017
    When tightening/loosening stubborn bolts it is sometime necessary to exert a lot of force. Hence I have shied away from a stand that clamps the frame or seat-tube and use this type of stand which avoids this problem - works a treat

https://tacx.com/repair-stands/
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Agree in the clamping comment of seatposts. Its absolutely fine as long as you're not stupid about it. And as mentioned, if you let the clamp pivot so the bike finds CoG first, then little clamping force is required anyway. It does make me cringe a bit when I see full bikes clamped on the seatpost with the bike positioned absolutely level. The forces you're placing on the seatpost- and probably more importantly, the seat tube must be quite high with that?

Ideally, I'd invest in a decent bottom bracket holding model as above for the maintenance side-of-things, and then get one of the cheap £20 Aldi/ Lidl jobs for washing duties....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    PCS 9 is bombproof, great price, really well made - used one at home for years for everything with no problems, used 2 at work for everything with no problems, loads of shops use them.

Well recommended.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    DefyComp2 wrote:
    I have an older version of this (FatSpanner) and it is absolutely fine for 99% of all maintenance jobs; the only thing I probably wouldn't do/attempt is unscrewing an external BB unless you just used the stand to support the bike with the wheels on the floor.

This although I found getting the wheels on the ground awkward as they clashed with the stand outriggers.

This is a very popular stand. Previously sold by Ribble, Edinburgh Bike Co-op amongst others.

mfin wrote:
    As with any stand like this, clamp the seatpost and let the bike swing to settle where it wants to through its C of G, then tighten the part of the clamp that stops the swinging.

And this although I will also clamp the top tube. I use the clamp so it lightly grips the top tube and then turn it clockwise in increase the clamp grip. I feel this is safer than the shock load of throwing over the clamp lever.
  • Thanks for all the advice. I use the stand mostly for bike washing and minor work. I eventually went with x tools for the price.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Thread hi-jack warning!

I've a cheapo stand that I hate, design-wise it's like one of the Park stands but it's very tedious to use and tends to collapse.

I'd like to splash a bit of cash and get something decent - have much work to do on my best bike now the weather's wintry - and would very much appreciate advice. I can't bolt anything to the floor but otherwise any configuration would be of interest.

Ta
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Based on wot I read, I bin and got one of these:

park-prs21-aluminium-team-race-stand-na-EV185318-9999-2.jpg

No, I didn't pay that much :shock:

Pricey but after years of hanging the thing from a beam wiv string, I deserve it. What's more it's the nearest I'll ever get to being in a TdF Race team.