Chain cleaning

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited August 2017 in Workshop
I've got the Park Tool chain cleaning tool and that works great. Is it sufficient to just use the chain cleaner, then dry the chain and lube it? Or should I wash the chain with soapy water after using the chain cleaning tool?

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Depends what cleaning fluid you are using in it. If degreaser, yes, followed by a quick rinse off with plain water afterwards from a very gentle hose works for me. I then let it dry off and re-lube.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • rumbataz
    Yes, it's degreaser - called 'Chain Cleaner' as I have a different bottle called 'Drivetrain Cleaner'. I've just been using the tool, wiping dry and re-lubing up till now.
  • ayjaycee
    My inclination would always be to rinse of the degreaser with clean water rather than just wiping it dry as I suspect that if any is left inside the links, oil will simply not adhere and that is where it really needs to be. I also tend to leave it overnight in a warm conservatory to dry off before re-lubing but I appreciate that not everybody has the facilities or, indeed, time to dry it off properly. That said, a hairdryer could also come in handy.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • rumbataz
    Thanks. I've got a 'pet dryer' that I use for forcing water out of crevices on my car (wing mirrors, for example) and I could use that to speed up the drying process of the chain.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,521
    best to rinse it out

bear in mind it'll get into the gaps between pins and rollers, aside from getting the chain hot it'll be hard to accelerate drying

fitting a removable link allows taking the chain off to clean/dry/lube
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ayjaycee
    rumbataz wrote:
    Thanks. I've got a 'pet dryer' that I use for forcing water out of crevices on my car (wing mirrors, for example) and I could use that to speed up the drying process of the chain.

Is that a 'pet dryer' for drying pets or a 'pet dryer' as in your favourite because the latter would be worrying! Either way, it should work to dry the chain out but you make me ashamed at how little attention I pay to cleaning my cars.

Also, what sun god said was spot on.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • rumbataz
    It's basically a ridiculously powerful hairdryer with a very long hose, designed to dry pets. Even at at the lowest speed it forces air out of door mirrors and shut lines on my car.

With regards to the chain, I'll use a slow hose on the chain next time I give it a good clean. I've got tons of car cleaning brushes - even down to ones to clean the car vents so I'll be able to get a good soapy lather on the chain after it's been degreased.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do your pets enjoy this hairdryer ? Shall I get one for my cats ?
  • ayjaycee
    Rumbataz - Thanks for that. I now feel even more inferior about my car cleaning routine.

Cougie - Good luck. If you do go down that road, I think you will need bundles of it.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • rumbataz
    @cougie : I don't have any pets! Someone recommended the pet dryer on a car detailing forum. Now, should I ever get a cat or dog in the future, that's one less expense!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,238
    This is overthinking on a scale never seen before... it's just a foking chain...
    left the forum March 2023
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Twice a week I squirt mine with GT85, wipe it down and re-lube. Once a month I try and clean it properly. When it hits 0.75 ish on the chain checker, I bin it and change it.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    hopkinb wrote:
    Twice a week I squirt mine with GT85, wipe it down and re-lube. Once a month I try and clean it properly. When it hits 0.75 ish on the chain checker, I bin it and change it.

That's what I do, but with wd40 instead.
  • Orkneylad
    Orkneylad Posts: 104
    I take mine off, shake in a jam jar of kerosene, then a scrub (with washing up liquid) and a rinse in warm water, stick back on and GT85. Too much?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Can usually just rinse with water after using the chain cleaner then wipe spray with GT85 or MO94 etc (any water dispersal agent bar WD40).
    Then re lube as usual.
    Can go low tech, chain in a tuperware box tape to the washing machine an leave it on a cycle.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,238
    Orkneylad wrote:
    I take mine off, shake in a jam jar of kerosene, then a scrub (with washing up liquid) and a rinse in warm water, stick back on and GT85. Too much?

Pointless and you don't do the only thing that you should be doing which is to use a proper lubricant... something like 3 in 1
    left the forum March 2023
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Orkneylad wrote:

Pointless and you don't do the only thing that you should be doing which is to use a proper lubricant... something like 3 in 1

This^
    Gt85 and wd40 is not chain lube.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I've got a sonic cleaner I've had for a while now.

I take the chain off (quick link) takes seconds. Throw it in the sonic cleaner. Pour in degreaser then same amount of boiling water (enough in total to cover the chain) which takes a few more seconds then press go. Come back ten minutes later, pull the chain out and run it under the tap.

This makes a chain look like new, properly clean and is no effort at all. I don't get mucky doing it, can do it in the house. All good. From deciding to take a chain off and clean it to it being cleaned takes no longer than 2 mins inc getting the chain off, putting it in, pouring in the degreaser and water and pressing go.

Sonic cleaning is great on cassettes too, no effort at all. Mine cost £30 and I use it loads.

I don't use biodegradable degreaser though and when I am finished I empty it onto some endangered orchids.
  • Orkneylad
    Orkneylad wrote:

I've been doing this for years & seems to work well, but think I'll try 3in1 or olive oil for that last stage.....cheers!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Orkneylad wrote:

Meh, all it'll do is act as a solvent for any chain lube you add later. Might even help a wet lube penetrate the chain. These things do have some heavier things in there which are left over when all the volatile stuff evaporates/washes off. Can't see them doing any harm, providing that's not all you use.
  • First.Aspect
    mfin wrote:
    I've got a sonic cleaner I've had for a while now.

I take the chain off (quick link) takes seconds. Throw it in the sonic cleaner. Pour in degreaser then same amount of boiling water (enough in total to cover the chain) which takes a few more seconds then press go. Come back ten minutes later, pull the chain out and run it under the tap.

This makes a chain look like new, properly clean and is no effort at all. I don't get mucky doing it, can do it in the house. All good. From deciding to take a chain off and clean it to it being cleaned takes no longer than 2 mins inc getting the chain off, putting it in, pouring in the degreaser and water and pressing go.

Sonic cleaning is great on cassettes too, no effort at all. Mine cost £30 and I use it loads.

I don't use biodegradable degreaser though and when I am finished I empty it onto some endangered orchids.
    Ihave one of these as well. I use white spirit, but one batch lasts 4 or 5 cleans. Its overkill, but can be left running while I clean the rest of the bike and I come back to a clean chain and cassette.
  • Orkneylad
    Orkneylad wrote:

Meh, all it'll do is act as a solvent for any chain lube you add later. Might even help a wet lube penetrate the chain. These things do have some heavier things in there which are left over when all the volatile stuff evaporates/washes off. Can't see them doing any harm, providing that's not all you use.

Things is, a lot of wet days up here, so the GT85 does seem to stop a lot of road muck clinging.....yes you have to apply it more often, but thick lubes just grab onto the gunk. Perhaps I should just go back to ye olde 70's method of just painting on the kerosene, but wife won't let the bikes in the house if I do that......too stinky. Problems problems.
  • My experience:

If it is "normal" clean every few weeks the pink general purpose cleaning liquid in chain cleaning tool works pretty well. (it dries out in like 10 minutes).

If it is super messy, spraying it with the kerosene/aerosol degreaser and letting it drip/dry before using the tool with pink stuff works fairly well too.

I also like to use the "squirrels tail" (I think it has a proper name but it eludes me) brush and cleaning out the cassette with a) the pink stuff it isn't too mucky or b) the aerosol spray if it is properly messy. If your chain is super clean but your cassette is a jammed full of dirt and grit, it doesn't help much...
  • First.Aspect
    Orkneylad wrote:
    Orkneylad wrote:

Things is, a lot of wet days up here, so the GT85 does seem to stop a lot of road muck clinging.....yes you have to apply it more often, but thick lubes just grab onto the gunk. Perhaps I should just go back to ye olde 70's method of just painting on the kerosene, but wife won't let the bikes in the house if I do that......too stinky. Problems problems.

Kerosene is good enough for the pros. Maybe set light to it before taking back into house, and use the diesel particulates as a dry lube?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    noodleman wrote:
    Orkneylad wrote:

This^

They are lubricants though, so by definition they must be capable of lubing a roller chain. The wd40 range has been expanded to include specific chain lubes, so you need to be clear what you mean when you say it is not a chain lube.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Imposter wrote:
    noodleman wrote:
    Orkneylad wrote:

This^

They are lubricants though, so by definition they must be capable of lubing a roller chain. The wd40 range has been expanded to include specific chain lubes, so you need to be clear what you mean when you say it is not a chain lube.

The very fact the WD40 range has been expanded to include specific chain lubes should tell you all you need to know about the stuff most of have in the kitchen drawer to stop hinges squeaking :roll:
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Orkneylad

Kerosene is good enough for the pros. Maybe set light to it before taking back into house, and use the diesel particulates as a dry lube?

hehe Problem there is I then have a blackened chain again. . . .the kids would clean their chains more often though!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    noodleman wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    noodleman wrote:
    Orkneylad wrote:

This^

The very fact the WD40 range has been expanded to include specific chain lubes should tell you all you need to know about the stuff most of have in the kitchen drawer to stop hinges squeaking :roll:

It tells me that WD is exploiting a commercial opportunity, but not much else. I routinely use both GT85 and WD40 (whichever I happen to have at the time) on my drive trains and those of all the other bikes I maintain - both work well with regular application.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    1. Put the chain on the 39 and somewhere in the middle of the block
    2. Clean the 11, the 53 and the jockey wheels
    3. Run the chain through a rag with degreaser (or a surface wipe from under the kitchen sink)
    4. Place the chain on the clean 53 and 11
    5. Repeat 3
    6. Clean the 39
    7. "Floss" the remainder of the block with your rag (or surface wipe from under the kitchen sink)
    8. Let the chain dry for 20mins
    9. Apply dry lube
    10. Give it 10mins
    11. Run the chain through a dry rag to get rid of any excess lube

Easy enough. In those 30mins (8 and 10), hoover the flat or hair dry the cat.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Ben6899 wrote:
    1. Put the chain on the 39 and somewhere in the middle of the block
    2. Clean the 11, the 53 and the jockey wheels
    3. Run the chain through a rag with degreaser (or a surface wipe from under the kitchen sink)
    4. Place the chain on the clean 53 and 11
    5. Repeat 3
    6. Clean the 39
    7. "Floss" the remainder of the block with your rag (or surface wipe from under the kitchen sink)
    8. Let the chain dry for 20mins
    9. Apply dry lube
    10. Give it 10mins
    11. Run the chain through a dry rag to get rid of any excess lube

Easy enough. In those 30mins (8 and 10), hoover the flat or hair dry the cat.

Sound great but I don't have a flat or a cat. I'll have to do it a different way.