[Solved] Help me trace creaking noise on Giant Defy Advanced

zefs
zefs Posts: 484
edited September 2017 in Workshop
My Giant Defy Advanced developed a creaking noise, I can hear it from the bottom bracket area and the noise started by itself so not after doing maintenance.

1) it only happens when pedalling (out of saddle as well)
2) the creaking is not in sync with revolutions it starts "creak creak creak" then stops and starts again
3) happens on all gears but for some reason it stops when descending
4) can't be reproduced by applying pressure on the frame by hand
5) doesn't happen on bumps

The cassette, wheels, pedals, QR's and bearings were checked/regreased and BB was changed to wheels manufacturing angular contact(80€) which didn't fix the issue. For some reason when it happens I can feel the pedal axles vibrating a bit. Also one of the back derailleur hanger screw's was missing which apparently caused creaking for others but it wasn't that either. I am out of ideas :?

Comments

• I have a similar issue but it is pretty minor and thus far I'm tolerating it. One thing that I am going to do is to remove / grease / torque the chainring bolts. Might want to check that out.
  • zefs
    Are these bolts the 4 or so that are found behind the small chainring? If so I tried to see if they are loose but they were not. I will ask a mechanic to torque them.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    i've had a creak caused by worn freehub bearings (dt swiss), took a while to figure out where the noise came from as it resonated through the frame
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • It could be coming from the headset. Try pulling up and pushing down on the handlebars when the creaking is evident to see if that affects the noise. If it is, the headset may need a bit more preload, but be careful not to tighten it up too much as you can damage the headset bearings.
  • Hi. Had something v similar on my Cayo. I removed and cleaned seatpost and reapplied carbon paste. This worked for a while and then I also removed saddle and cleaned and retorqued- creak sorted!
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I also have a similar issue. I thought it was the BB creaking, but I was on a climb and held the bars really lightly. Then it stopped, so it's coming from that area. I should do something about it, but keep forgetting.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Did you take it to a decent bike mechanic? Some of them (especially in department stores & big bike chains like Decathalon halfords etc.) don't use torque wrenches and tend to leave parts just a bit too loose.

I had a creaking that I could not stop, I took it to the shop and they couldn't find where it is and after a standard service it still went on creaking. It went away after I re-tightened everything to the recommended torque specs with a proper torque wrench myself... Turns out the mechanics don't use torque wrenches at the local Decathalon.

I found that the the cranks were too loose and quite a bit off the recommended torque. I think you may have a similar issue as it sounds like you don't have creaks when you aren't putting as much pressure on the cranks (i.e. when descending). My bike was doing a similar thing where the creaking only happened during training/routes and didn't when I was commuting.
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    Similar problem with my tcr turned out to be the seatpost, worth a check.
  • You say bb area but it's hard to tell when riding. Check and tighten everything you can. Chain ring bolts, stem bolts would be my first call if it's when you are out of the saddle as you are applying more pressure on these 2 areas
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I had a creak on one of my road bikes, earlier in the year. I stripped it down and checked everything carefully, re packed the BB bearings, did the same for the headset bearings, checked all the bolts everywhere were torqued up correctly, used assembly paste on all bits that needed it, checked the seat post / saddle, torqued them up nicely. I checked all the wheel bearings, and freehub were okay, they were. I reassembled everything, gave it a check / shakedown ride, and there was still a creak. Halfway down a nasty twisty gravelly descent, BANG. The creak was coming from the front rim, it was about to fail spectacularly under pressure from the tube. I always bear this in mind now. If I hear a creak, I try reducing pressure in the tyre's first, if that solves it, a new wheel is purchased, before a repeat performance occurs. It's only gone to the point of rim failure once, that was enough.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    Did you recently get new chain, cassette, or chainring?
    Can you feel vibration coming through the pedals?
  • zefs
    edited August 2017
    Yes I can feel the vibration through the pedals although the above were not changed. The mechanic said the new bottom bracket was fitted quite easy which could be an issue with the frame? (it has 5000km no rain at all). Chainring screws where tightened and seatpost regreased - no change.
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    Had this on my Canyon and i was convinced it was the bottom bracket, but after reading the sticky thread in this forum (highly recommended) about clicking, groaning noises, I discovered someone had a problem like mine which was solved by greasing the rear qr skewers and making sure they were closed tightly - you know what, solved the problem! Give that a go to see what happens.
    Ciao Marco
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I had a similar problem when I wore a particular pair of shoes, it was the cleat/pedal interface creaking, a bit of lubrication cured it.
  • zefs
    It's not the QR skewers as I just tried other ones from another wheelset, or the pedals as these have already been checked (but will also try another pair of pedals).

I just noticed something weird inside the frame where the bottle cage bolts go, is it me or is the inner part (caps?) damaged/broken? (open image in new tab and zoom in)

lwlQNGK.jpg
  • zefs
    Update: I put the bike on the trainer and couldn't reproduce the creak no matter the power output. I also added some weights below the front wheel to try a different angle but still. Any idea why it doesn't happen on the trainer? The quick release is different but the main QR was checked/greased.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The last creak I had sounded like the bottom bracket but was a worn headset bearing. I could tell as the steering was a little stiff and not as smooth as my other bike. Once replaced smooth and silent.
  • zefs
    Kajjal wrote:
    The last creak I had sounded like the bottom bracket but was a worn headset bearing. I could tell as the steering was a little stiff and not as smooth as my other bike. Once replaced smooth and silent.

I think that could be it as steering feels a bit stiff sometimes as well. Will check and update.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    The creaking on my old defy was bizarrely the cables rubbing underneath the bar tape. A bit of electricians tape and all was solved. I don't see anything wrong with the rivnuts for the bottle cages, the dark bit look so like a bit of swarf from where they drill from the outside and cannot clean properly the inside of the tube.
  • zefs
    Update: It was the wheel freehub doing the noise (clean/regrease on the shop did the job), should have checked that first. It's funny because the sound was like a carbon creak so I was thinking it was the bottom bracket area.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!