Rotor bolts with strong and tight-fitting hex/Allen head

tangerineowl
tangerineowl Posts: 101
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Chasing suggestions for a bolt set with a tight-fit head for the hex/Allen key.

The ones that came with my new rotor set were a bit sloppy and soft in the key/bolt head; already stripped a couple.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could they be Torx not Allen? All of mine are.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I would prefer Allen, as the other main fasteners on the bike are.

Maybe I need to get with the times?!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My question was actually were you trying to use an allen key on a torx bolt?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Not something that I've ever had problems with..???? If they are rounding off they are either really cheap bolts and I'd be worried about the quality of the rotors they came with (are they branded?) over tightening or wrong sized/worn/cheap allen keys.
  • cooldad wrote:
    My question was actually were you trying to use an allen key on a torx bolt?

Not that stupid :lol: At least not with the bike!

Anyway, after a bit of reading online, I figured out what I need from a fastener place (stronger grade bolts).

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nope, a higher grade refers to tensile strength, no more or less prone to stripping, but they will at least be a known quality and less likely to be made of cheddar cheese.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Hex rotor bolts are in the minority plus easier to round off. Fit torx heads, it's not like you ever need to adjust them on the trail.
    A dab of thread lock and job done.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    its not the bolts themselves more the quality of the torx 25 tool your using to fit them. I've stripped some bolts recently as the t25 tool I had wasn't tight fitting and made of cheese.

bought a better set and I'm good to go.