9mm fork dropouts 15mm wheel axle

jsisidore
jsisidore Posts: 123
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Thus I need adapters but have no clue which ones. 15 to 9qr would be a rational choice I suppose?

Comments

• jsisidore
    Ordered this one. Hopefully it's what I need.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuke ... od80192?gs
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Assuming you have Nukeproof hubs, probably.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    jsisidore wrote:
    I've got that one. Works with any hubs, not just Nukeproof ones, and does just what you want it to.
  • jsisidore
    whyamihere wrote:
    jsisidore wrote:
    I've got that one. Works with any hubs, not just Nukeproof ones, and does just what you want it to.
    That is what I thought thanks!
  • jsisidore
    I'm confused. The adapter has arrived BUT the inside diameter is only 5mm whereas it was advertised 15mm to 9mm QR. I bought a dt swiss 9mm thru bolt and obviously it is too big for the adapter. What's going on?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    That's correct. The axle is 9mm diameter. (10mm rear)
    It is hollow take a 5mm skewer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The ends of the adaptor will be 9mm to fit in the dropout, the hole in the centre takes a 5mm diameter skewer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    jsisidore wrote:
    I'm confused. The adapter has arrived BUT the inside diameter is only 5mm whereas it was advertised 15mm to 9mm QR. I bought a dt swiss 9mm thru bolt and obviously it is too big for the adapter. What's going on?

You need....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-Mountain-Bike-15mm-Thru-Axle-to-9mm-Quick-Release-Wheel-Adapter-/251374805174?

instead of....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-Mtn-Bike-15mm-Thru-Axle-to-Standard-5mm-Quick-Release-Wheel-Adapter-/251506213175?

You should of mentioned that you were using a 9mm thru axle.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Or one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-WHEEL-S ... 0JVkFljqQA which is what the original adaptor was designed to work with, surely?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    As a 9mm through axle won't fit into the 9mm QR forks (thus totally defeating the object of the adaptors) that would seem to be an exceptionally stupid suggestion, just need the QR skewer as Larkin says.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    The Rookie wrote:
    As a 9mm through axle won't fit into the 9mm QR forks (thus totally defeating the object of the adaptors) that would seem to be an exceptionally stupid suggestion, just need the QR skewer as Larkin says.

or exchange the adaptors for some suitable for use with the 9mm dt swiss axle the op has bought.

You should be able to get some as all the big hub makers hope, dt swiss etc make them for a 9mm through axle.
  • The Rookie
    Who said he has a DT Swiss hub?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I thought the 9mm thru axles are threaded and so screw into the frame so n/a for forks
  • The Rookie
    Yo can get forks, but usually gravel bike style for 9mm through axle (ignoring the non OE fit screw threw upgrades).
  • jsisidore
    Now I'm confused. But I did bought the 9mm thru axle, I kind of want to use it but that means I have to invest in yet another adapter? I better keep the 5mm one I guess. I don't regret all these complications, at least I'm learning a lot about how convoluted the cycling industry is :)
  • larkim
    I think you need to clarify what the dropouts in the forks that you have got are, and what the wheel is designed to take.

If you've got forks designed for a "standard" QR skewer, then no thru axle will fit it (thru axles generally screw into one side of the fork, so that side would be threaded) and you'll need an adaptor to convert whatever size the wheel is designed for down to a QR. If this is the case, the 9mm thru axle that you have is no use to you.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think the OP has 9mm dropouts for QR skewers.

This image may help:

ellsworth-dropout.jpg

Note the dropout is 9mm, because that is the diameter of the end stubs of the wheel hub. But (obvioulsy) the hole through the middle of those stubs is smaller than 9mm. They have a wall of around 2mm, leaving 5mm hole for the skewer - this is a standard QR skewer size.

You can get 9mm axles for the front but a) they are not common and b) they are not what you want in this case. The skewer needs to be smaller than the dropout for the end stub of the wheel hub to be accomodated.

Hopefully that makes sense?
  • The Rookie
    larkim wrote:
    If you've got forks designed for a "standard" QR skewer, then no thru axle will fit it .
    Are you SURE about that (think carefully - or even check - before answering)......

You can get 9mm bolt through for 9mm QR forks but it requires the right type of front hub to use it and is of minimal benefit.
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/9 ... h-axle.htm
    I guess that jsisidore could get the adaptor drilled out to 9mm which would accept this style, but the stiffness benefit is marginal in the extreme.
  • larkim
    OK, I was over-simplifying! (Doh!) It's a terminology thing, i wasn't really considering a 9mm QR to be a thru axle, but on reflection I suppose it does qualify.