Need Canyon/New Bike Buying Help

jrode
jrode Posts: 5
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone, first-time poster here.

I'm looking at upgrading from my 2013 Trek 1.1 and now that Canyon is offering sales in the US, I'm thinking about going with them and getting the Endurance CF SL Disc 7.0. Even though I've had my current bike for awhile, I'm still probably a newb when it comes to getting into cycling hardcore.

Right now I ride three times a week or so, anywhere up to 50 miles per ride. I'd like to start doing sportives and maybe even some day race (probably getting too old to start racing, though). I chose the Endurance because it was more in my budget, but I do like the idea of a more aggressive setup.

When I measured myself and input the numbers into Canyon's Perfect Position System, they recommended that I get an XL. My measurements are as follows:

Height - 75 inches
Inseam Length - 34.75 inches
Body Weight - 192 pounds
Torso Length - 28 inches
Shoulder Width - 17.5 inches
Arm Length - 25.75 inches

For those with more knowledge, does the XL recommendation seem good? I have never ordered online, so am a bit nervous, but I love the look of Canyon's and their bikes seem to be a pretty solid deal.

Can anyone offer me some buying advice? Are there any other brands with models similarly priced with similar components that I should be looking at (I would like to move away from Trek, though)?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Can't explicitly comment on your sizing but we've got 4 club mates (I live with 2 of them) who recently bought canyon based on their sizing system. 1 speedmax, 3ultimate between us and the fits been perfect each time.

Only thing to be aware of is the aerocockpit setup. I'm not sure what it's like in the states but there's a 30 day return period in the UK for swapping the one piece unit so make sure you've got a bike fit lined up or know if you need to swap anything out quick.

As for value, never found anything that comes close and the ride is exceptional. Really can't criticise them beyond the hassle of having to deal with the UK warehouse/distribution guys who are a bit short staffed by the sounds of things.
  • jrode
    Can't explicitly comment on your sizing but we've got 4 club mates (I live with 2 of them) who recently bought canyon based on their sizing system. 1 speedmax, 3ultimate between us and the fits been perfect each time.

Only thing to be aware of is the aerocockpit setup. I'm not sure what it's like in the states but there's a 30 day return period in the UK for swapping the one piece unit so make sure you've got a bike fit lined up or know if you need to swap anything out quick.

As for value, never found anything that comes close and the ride is exceptional. Really can't criticise them beyond the hassle of having to deal with the UK warehouse/distribution guys who are a bit short staffed by the sounds of things.

Thanks for the input!

Do you know how difficult the assembly is? I've never pieced together a bike before, but I know how to follow instructions. :lol:
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited August 2017
    My mistake , wrong thread
  • jrode
    Managed to find the geometry of my Trek 1.1 online. I feel pretty comfortable on this bike, although probably not completely dialed in. Can anyone off up some insights as to whether you think I'd feel comfortable on the Canyon Endurance XL frame size? I believe my current Trek is a 60cm frame.

Here are links to both bike's geometry:

Canyon (scroll down a little): https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/endur ... l-disc-7-0
    Trek 1.1: https://goo.gl/eHUQ2k

GREATLY appreciate any insight, as I am a noob when it comes to measurements/numbers/fit/sizing.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I'm 183cm / 72" and fit perfectly on a medium Aeroad.

I would say you'll be between a L and XL, but having a integrated stem / bar combo may mean the large frame reach will be too short.

Personally I'd ask Canyon if they can sell you a large frame with a 130mm-ish stem / bar.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I have a quick Canyon query as well.

Do any Canyon owners have experience of the Ultimate SL and SLX frames? I'm trying to figure out if the SL Disc 9.0 with Di2 at £2,889 is a better deal than the the SLX Disc 8.0 with Ultegra at £3,079.

Canyon have told me that the carbon layup is stiffer and lighter on the SLX. But with Di2 being lighter than Ultegra, the 9.0 is in fact lighter than the 8.0. Plus, I'm hardly feather weight so a few grams is not an issue.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I've got an Endurace with the SLX frame but to be honest I only bought it because that was the only option at the time. It's now available with the SL frame and saves a bundle of cash for the weight of a half full bottle.

I suppose it depends on how much you value Di2 (love it personally) and how likely you are to upgrade the groupset etc at a later date.
  • Thigh_burn wrote:

Do any Canyon owners have experience of the Ultimate SL and SLX frames? I'm trying to figure out if the SL Disc 9.0 with Di2 at £2,889 is a better deal than the the SLX Disc 8.0 with Ultegra at £3,079.

Canyon have told me that the carbon layup is stiffer and lighter on the SLX. But with Di2 being lighter than Ultegra, the 9.0 is in fact lighter than the 8.0. Plus, I'm hardly feather weight so a few grams is not an issue.

The Di2 weighs more than the mech groupset. The battery adds a lot of weight
  • ryan_w-2
    Thigh_burn wrote:

The Di2 weighs more than the mech groupset. The battery adds a lot of weight

For the weight weenies out there, 6870 comes in a 69g lighter than the previous 6770 version using the external battery. Switching to an internal battery shaves an additional 57g to a full savings of 126g from 6770. In fact Shimano says an internal battery equipped 6870 groupset comes out 9g lighter than its mechanical sibling (2368g versus 2359g).

• jrode
    Just thought I would share an update.

Actually made it in to a LBS today just to check out some stuff and ended up buying a 60cm 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105. Thought the price was too good to pass up for how nice the bike felt when I took it for a spin. Wasn't planning on getting something a few years old, but I think I made a good decision.

Maybe I'll give Canyon a whirl down the road.
  • ryan_w-2
    Can't go far wrong with a SS. Just keep an eye on that creaky BB ;)