Looking for Lake cx237, Bont Vaypor +, S-Works S6 owners

Mauro69
Mauro69 Posts: 35
edited February 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello to all
I have to buy a new pair of cycling shoes, unfortunately I have very wide feet and poor foot circulation, so I need wide and well-ventilated shoes with a lot of volume in toe box.
I've DMT R1 (44), but it's very very hot, the ventilation system lack's (but the heel fit it’s good) ....
Also I've Sidi Genius 5 Mega, more volume on the toe box, more ventilation, but closing system it's not the best and the upper is not very soft and aging is further hardened.
Reading here and there it seems to me that the Lake CX237, Bont Vaypor + and maybe S-Works S6 might be my case.
Unfortunately, these shoes are not in the shops in my area and I should buy them online.
Since this shoes are very expensive, before making a wrong purchase, I'd like to have your little help.
Is there any owner of these shoes, size 44.5 wide or similar?
I would like to ask them a courtesy, could you make the shape of the insole?
With some reference to the measurements in inch or cm? (See example).
I would be useful to understand if the shoes in question can fit my feet.
I would also appreciate a few comments on ventilation / breathability and space in the toe box and any problems encountered with these shoes.

Many thanks in advance.

PS: In the attached image you can see the shape of the DMT R1 insole (size 44), which are a bit narrow at metatarsus and very narrow and poor volume in the toe box.

HQzTSbj.jpg
PsbRhrU.jpg

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Specialized has a comfort guarantee - if you buy them and you don't find them comfortable even after use, they will refund you. I had some of their Cross shoes based upon their Works road shoes fitting me brilliantly (wide feet and narrow heel) but the Cross shoes dug into my ankle (a common complaint I subsequently discovered) and Specialized told me just to return them for a full refund.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Mauro69
    Thank you for the answer.
    I think this commercial policy is not applied in my country (Italy)
  • I've those cx237 shoes - they are good (well ventilated) and they do a Wide fit version too as well as half sizes.

Lake web site has a good sizing guide :-
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1026/ ... 7500496742

It's a shame you can't try them on - but mine are wide fit in size 43, where mostly i'd be even 44.. so for you the 44 Wide may work ( states for 276.5mm long and 114.9mm wide),even that might be too narrow...
  • Mauro69
    Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm waiting for a 44.5 wide or 44 wide owner ....... Who knows, maybe sooner or later I find it.

Meanwhile all the suggestions are well accepted.

Thak you again !
  • Mauro69
    Within a few weeks Lake will add the CX332 Extra Wide to the catalog, basically the Extra Wide CX332 will have the same width and volume as the CX237 Wide .... it's too much interesting.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    have you looked at the bont size chart which measurements for all sizes...

http://www.bontcycling.com/items/support/sizeChart.html

i take a vaypor s 46.5 so no point measuring, but i have used both standard and wide...

the width of the bonts vaypor models can be increased several mm by heat moulding, the standard i had to mould outwards to get enough width, the wide were ok, with both i had to mould in the heel to be snug

comparing chart to measurements i would think 44.5 wide would be ok, but i suggest measure exactly as bont instruct to be sure to match their chart, note that you need to ad a few mm to actual foot length to choose a size that gives you some wiggle room, i add 5mm to my measurement

if you go bont, it's more practical/faster to mould with a heat gun set to about 100c than in an oven (the oven method doesn't allow changing just one area and also requires removing the cleat each time)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Mauro69
    Comparing chart to measurements, the right size for me it's the 44.5 double wide. Unfortunately Vaypor+ double size#44.5 is out of stock, Bont don't produce them any more, only New Zero+ or Vaypor S are produced in double wide size, but any double wide shoe is out of stock and need production, which belong to semi-custom shoe, and is unacceptable for refund or exchange.

6JEHeXj.jpg
  • I have pretty wide/flat feet and have the normal width lake CX 237's. I like them but don't love them.

The normal width come up big on me, but the next size down (46.5) are too small.

They are well made, leather is of really good quality. What lets them down is the virtually none existent heel guard. One of my bogeys would last longer with me walking on it than the bit of cheese thats fitted at the factory.
  • I'm in trouble ... Lake CX332 or Bont Vaypor+ ....
    Which is the best ventilated?

I'm afraid that Shimano has the toe box with poor volume for my feet.
  • I have pretty wide/flat feet and have the normal width lake CX 237's.....What lets them down is the virtually none existent heel guard. One of my bogeys would last longer with me walking on it than the bit of cheese thats fitted at the factory.

Exactly what I found also. Love the front. The back is poor. Even more so for narrow heel.

You might want to have a look at Pearl Izumi. Almost as wide as standard-width Lake (wider than Shimano), but the heel is supportive/firm and taller than Lake or Shimano.
  • I think the CX332 have better heel protection, this is one of the reasons why I abandoned the idea of buying the CX237 preferring the CX332.
  • I have pretty wide/flat feet and have the normal width lake CX 237's.....What lets them down is the virtually none existent heel guard. One of my bogeys would last longer with me walking on it than the bit of cheese thats fitted at the factory.

Exactly what I found also. Love the front. The back is poor. Even more so for narrow heel.

You might want to have a look at Pearl Izumi. Almost as wide as standard-width Lake (wider than Shimano), but the heel is supportive/firm and taller than Lake or Shimano.

Cheers, I'll bear them in mind when I get round to replacing my Lake Boats.
  • Finally I got the Lake CX332, some small events, including a change of size, have delayed the arrival, but it seems to be worth it.
    I chose the Extra Wide 45, the 44.5it's a little bit short, these shoes have a very wide, the widest I've ever tried and they have a lot of volume at the toe box, toes remain comfortable and there is enough space to move enough the toes.
    The materials and the workmanship seem to be excellent, the last series produced assembles the Boa Ip1 instead of L6: mrgreen :.
    For now I have done a roller training and a 3-hour output and the sensations are good, during the indoor session I had no problem or warming foot.
    As far as ventilation is concerned, I would like to comment on next summer.
    for now I have not felt the need to model the heel counter, it is well fitted even so.
    The sole have less arc supporto than DMT R1 and is less shaped than the one of the DMT R1 that I used lately, this allowed me to insert a thermoformed insole, perhaps also thanks to this I had the feeling of having less tensions in the legs and to pedal better.

I take this opportunity to thank the staff of Lake Cycling in particular Mr. Bob Mass for his professionalism and availability.

578ed9fa26ca2d0f388ab3b2acaf4207.jpg
    48767f6d7ecea3c0fd6d69854531be3e.jpg
    8fd4360e5b015e04acfbdcae30fceb15.jpg
    3601e250fe26530b25a4bc5ec8858ebc.jpg
    c32bf7bb27649ce99d948ee9fe34e0a9.jpg