LBS advice

tjw_78
tjw_78 Posts: 41
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I've been into 2 different LBSs this week, and got completely different views on disc brakes:

LBS 1) Wind tunnel testing by Cervelo 'prove' disk brake bikes to be faster and they are definitely the way to go
LBS 2) Not worth the extra cost and the extra weight

Clear as mud!

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    If you go disc, do make sure its hydro...I have a bike with mech discs and (IMHO) rim brakes are better...

Otherwise bikes with disc brakes definitely tend to be heavier, and discs are far from essential. For me, it wholly depended on whether I was happy to continue eating through my rims during rubbish weather, or going for discs where rim wear would hopefully be almost a thing of the past.

Still have a rim-braked "summer bike", with deep rim carbon wheels. Its way lighter than my disc bike but doesn't stop quite as well in the dry, and in the wet the difference is palpable. Horses for courses?!

Hadn't heard the one about the Cervelo wind tunnel test though :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • tjw_78
    tjw_78 Posts: 41
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Otherwise bikes with disc brakes definitely tend to be heavier, and discs are far from essential. For me, it wholly depended on whether I was happy to continue eating through my rims during rubbish weather
    :

Given I'll keep my current bike for the winter, bad weather, and potentially commuting, my new bike (if it even actually transpires) will be kept for sunny days. Makes me err, for the moment, to stick to rim brakes.
  • tjw_78 wrote:
    I've been into 2 different LBSs this week, and got completely different views on disc brakes:

LBS 1) Wind tunnel testing by Cervelo 'prove' disk brake bikes to be faster and they are definitely the way to go
    LBS 2) Not worth the extra cost and the extra weight

Clear as mud!

LBS 2 sound like reasonable, common sense, non-hysterical type of people you want to deal with
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    LBS 1, in the real world it doesn't matter if disc brake bikes are slower or faster because the aero difference would be so small you probably wouldn't notice.

LBS 2 have either never ridden or don't sell road bikes with disc brakes.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am very tall and 100KG. For me hydraulic disc brakes work very well, I found rim brakes to be borderline dangerous in the wet on my old road bike.

Most peoples fitness, weight and riding position have a much, much greater impact than disc brakes being less aero dynamic.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    A question I have on road bikes with disc brakes :
    When removing the front wheel on my rim brake bike it is a doddle. Just undo the QR and open the brake caliper and the wheel drops out and then can put bike in car for easy transportation to a sportive. And equally as quick and hassle free putting the wheel back on.
    So with the disc brake bike would the procedure be just as easy ? Would I need to be alot more careful when transporting bike without wheel to protect the disc pads ? and is putting the wheel back on simple ?
  • easier, undo the quick realease and the wheel slides out. Simply reverse to put back in

MTB calipers have a plastic spacer to insert between the pads to stop accidentally squeezing the leaver which will put the pads in and need pushing back manually, this is usefull when transporting with wheel out. I assume road disc calipers are the same. Discs themselves are metal, dificult to bend from normal handingling much less fragile than carbon rims and only need protecting from oil/grease like rims would if using rim brakes
    Disc brakes are no more trouble than rim brakes
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    easier, undo the quick realease and the wheel slides out. Simply reverse to put back in

MTB calipers have a plastic spacer to insert between the pads to stop accidentally squeezing the leaver which will put the pads in and need pushing back manually, this is usefull when transporting with wheel out. I assume road disc calipers are the same. Discs themselves are metal, dificult to bend from normal handingling much less fragile than carbon rims and only need protecting from oil/grease like rims would if using rim brakes

And just as easy if TA rather than QR disc wheels ?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I bet LBS1 sells disk braked cervelos....

As has been said there's no difference in the real world so get whatever you like.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    edited August 2017
    I'm a convert to road disc brakes. I have a cross bike which I use as my winter bike, with cable operated discs, which ar fine when set up correctly. They are far superior to ANY rim brake in the winter conditions that we get in this country. Great in the dry and so much better than a rim brake in the winter, especially in the wet.

I have used the bike for 5 winters now and only ever needed to change the pads and just recently remove the pads and clean out the crud/ slight corrosion that was causing one pad to stick. Not bad for 5 winters I reckon. Rims still look like new.

I have now sold my old Pinarello summer bike with Record rim brakes and built a Colnago C60 disc with 50mm carbon rims - in my opinion carbon rims were made for disc brakes; they are a match made in heaven compared to their rim braked cousins which all seem to suffer from heat issues and crap braking in the wet.

The C60 has hydraulic disc brakes which are absolutely superb, coupled to Dura Ace Di2 shifting and it really is the perfect solution for a summer best bike which can be used on long descents in wet or dry conditions. I am more than happy with it and simply would never have another road bike with rim brakes as for me the advantages far outweigh any minor disadvantages like slight weight increase...

PP
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    rando wrote:
    easier, undo the quick realease and the wheel slides out. Simply reverse to put back in

And just as easy if TA rather than QR disc wheels ?

Only difference thru axle makes is that you have to pull the axle out of the side when undone.

Really, unless you are racing either is trivial and does not even warrant consideration.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I dont get how wind tunnel testing would show disc brake bikes to be faster - the difference to aero is negligible, unless you have an aero time trial bike in which case calipers can be hidden better, within or behind the frame making the bike more aero. The difference, not surprisingly, is braking. LBS1 sound like a bunch of muppets.

LBS2 are old school curmudgeonly snobs and or just wanting to sell you what they have and not stocking disc brake bikes. And have clearly never tried proper (hydraulic) disc brakes or are lying.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Surely it depends on what else you told the LBS. LBS might have said there's no need for discs if you were looking at a summer racing bike where as LBS 1 might be right in saying that discs are better for winter riding.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There are still many who think there is no need for disc brakes on road bikes that fine, for a shop not be enthuastic about the possibility of selling you something is odd.

I use disc brakes for my commute as there is no rim wear and given i commute in the wet i can stop.

Grippy tyres with xisc brakes help alot. The people who say rim brakes are all you need either dont ride enough to wear rims out quickly, dont brake enough to wear out rims quickly, ride mostly in the dry or dont want to spend the money on hydraulic disc brakes which is fair enough.

If you can afford them though they are rely quite good, i even get on with the tektro spyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Nothing scientific but I have owned rim braked, mechanical discs and hydraulic discs. I was a bit 'meh' about the mechanical discs but the difference with hydraulic is something else. It just inspires confidence on the downhills. YMMV but I'm a convert. In perfect summer weather then maybe. If you're racing at a high level and doing TTs then go with the rim brakes. If you're a normal cyclist, I'd recommend the disc brakes.
  • If you're a normal cyclist, I'd recommend the disc brakes.

Whut?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles