La Vuelta 2017 - Stage one, TTT, Nîmes **spoilers**

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    For all true improvements lotto jumbo have made in TT, they're quite a force, they could do with sorting their kit out.

How many of them have crashed in TTs this year? Christ.
  • Wot no thread for today?

Can someone be in charge of the ECHELONS klaxon plz. Am lunching, and have to prioritise me surreptitious online peeking
  • rick_chasey
    Wot no thread for today?

Can someone be in charge of the ECHELONS klaxon plz. Am lunching, and have to prioritise me surreptitious online peeking

I'm on it.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    It was too 'staged' for my liking. Call me old fashioned, but I could live without all the phoney baloney, soshal Meeja inspired horse shite. The 'let's go through a ( insert show pony location), 'cos the 'commercial partners' love that sort of thing, can go and take a long walk off a short pier IMHO. So much of everything is geared towards furnishing 'brand owners' now, that it's sucking the fun out of everything. Cynical manipulation, of perceived 'cash cows' by a few greedy barstewards, pervading every day life more and more. </old man>.
  • rick_chasey
    So much of everything is geared towards furnishing 'brand owners' now, that it's sucking the fun out of everything. .

Because professional cycling wasn't born out of a need to sell newspapers and cars.

And teams are definitely not exclusively owned by the sponsors.
  • milemuncher1
    So much of everything is geared towards furnishing 'brand owners' now, that it's sucking the fun out of everything. .

Because professional cycling wasn't born out of a need to sell newspapers and cars.

And teams are definitely not exclusively owned by the sponsors.

That's very true, in relation to other pro sports, cycling is still actually biased towards the actual sport. It's why it's one of the only pro sports I can be bothered watching.
  • rick_chasey
    Meh, cycling's a circus half the time, and this Vuelta is definitely bonkers.

It's the USP of the Vuelta.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Anyone know what happened to TLJ and why that poor kid suddenly went over his own handlebars in the middle of the road. I only managed to catch the highlights yesterday and ITV promised they would find out but if they mentioned it again I missed it (too mesmerised by the return of the man with the watches and no idea about how to ride a bike)
  • milemuncher1
    imatfaal wrote:
    Anyone know what happened to TLJ and why that poor kid suddenly went over his own handlebars in the middle of the road. I only managed to catch the highlights yesterday and ITV promised they would find out but if they mentioned it again I missed it (too mesmerised by the return of the man with the watches and no idea about how to ride a bike)
    I think he hit a Bidon.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,157
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Either the Vuelta has taken a very different approach this year or a darts tournament has overrun on ITV.

New trial to increase excitement. The crowd were given three darts each to try to hit their least favourite rider. Froome finished the stage looking like a porcupine whilst a few other riders thought it was just some late preparation from their doctor.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    It was too 'staged' for my liking. Call me old fashioned, but I could live without all the phoney baloney, soshal Meeja inspired horse shite. The 'let's go through a ( insert show pony location), 'cos the 'commercial partners' love that sort of thing, can go and take a long walk off a short pier IMHO. So much of everything is geared towards furnishing 'brand owners' now, that it's sucking the fun out of everything. Cynical manipulation, of perceived 'cash cows' by a few greedy barstewards, pervading every day life more and more. </old man>.

So it starts in Nimes, and you would rather it not to go past/through the attractions of Nimes? Who benefits from that?
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal wrote:
    I think he hit a Bidon.

Nah - On a short TTT - doubt many would be carrying would they? No sign of anything on the road. I wonder if he started braking for the corner, hit the small ramp and the jolt caused him to clamp the brake. Bit of a newbie error if that was it - I have done it when I hit an un-noticed pothole .
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I thought I could see something on the floor - it looked like a visor or a bottle to me. Perhaps rubbish from the crowd?
  • imatfaal
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    I thought I could see something on the floor - it looked like a visor or a bottle to me. Perhaps rubbish from the crowd?

Poor kid whatever happened - glad he and the teammate who flipped over him were both able to continue although they were nearly the last of the field on the classification.