BB30 Creak

Wheely33
Wheely33 Posts: 25
edited August 2017 in Workshop
OK, so at the risk of asking a question that's been asked a thousand times before, does anyone have a magic bullet technique for assembling a CAAD 10 BB30 in such a way that cures it's creaks ? Really don't want to go down the adaptor route.
It's such a fantastic bike that curing this Achilles heel would make it my go-to ride, even over it's far more expensive stable mates. Help !

Comments

• My local Cannonade lbs/ dealer installed mine with loctite.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    How old is the install?
    CAAD10s imo have the advantage of being machined quite nicely, so a BB30 setup done correctly is very sweet.
    Is it a creak or a knock of sorts?
    Sometimes after removing the crankset and a clean up I forget to torque up the nds to the required nm properly.... it's quite high. - 40
  • After a long and painful relationship with BB30 the only sure fire way I got rid of it permanently was to bin the bugger and swap over to Praxis conversion.

Not cheap but much much better than messing about with new bearings, loc tite and constant cleaning.

Good luck!
  • Have a CAAD 10 and experienced the same problem. However, after 2/3 good clean ups and re- grease it's not been a problem since.
    A great bike and v fast but one which I hardly use. My son now no longer uses it either as up in London.
    Should be used more- if anyone out there is looking for one (56cm frame, white, with 105, good condition and original) let me know.
    Sorry not trying to hijack this thread . I'd persevere with BB30 for a while longer.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tub glue is a good way of fixing bearings as well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Make sure everything is scrupulously clean. Use some sort of alcohol and a lint free rag to really cleanse all surfaces.

Press the bearings in with Loctite bearing retainer, see here http://www.loctite.co.uk/retaining-9171.htm remember to use an activator if required to ensure the retainer 'goes off' and seals correctly.

PP