help and advice on purchasing first decent bike £350 budget

arnieA380
arnieA380 Posts: 59
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

iv been in my current job a while now ( security officer ) and i deal with lots of people and alot of cyclists and its got me wanting to cycle to work.
Now I'd like to purchase a good bike that is going to last me, i would be using the bike to get to/from work either on the road/ or dirt paths etc.

I have a budget of £350

after doing some research online i have found this bike - Saracen TuffTrax Disc 27.5" Mountain Bike 2017 - Hardtail MTB which i really like.

i have tried to find reviews for it but only found one or two. just wondered

1. if anybody owns this and can tell me if its any good

2. could anybody give me advice on another bike within my budget for what i wish to use it for?

im happy to answer any questions for people to be able to help me more.

thank you

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    The saracen seems to have xct forks, the carrera vulcan has Xcm which are marginally better other than that they are very similar spec. So vulcan might be worth considering.

Also can you post a link to the saracen you're looking at there's a few different configuration, some have cable brakes, in which case the vulcan is better with hydraulic brakes.
  • hi yes, i would of posted list earlier but wasnt sure if was allowed post links.

the saracen iv seen is this one - https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Saracen-TuffTr ... _98545.htm
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I'd say the brakes and forks are better on the vulcan, personally.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of the two the Vulcan.

But if it's just for commuting I'd suggest something like the Carrara Subway hybrid, no need for suspension forks (weight and cost) on the road!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.