friday you think you've found perception's doors

13»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,466
    hopkinb wrote:
    Favourite? The Saab. It may have been a glorified Vauxhall, but when the turbo kicked in, it really was quite exciting, especially as the turbo steer made navigation something of a lottery.

Sums it up perfectly. That damn kick form the turbo was addictive (but only in a straight line - any other manoeuvre was life threatening).
    That Audi V6 was a bit of a monster for London?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Favourite? The Saab. It may have been a glorified Vauxhall, but when the turbo kicked in, it really was quite exciting, especially as the turbo steer made navigation something of a lottery.

Sums it up perfectly. That damn kick form the turbo was addictive (but only in a straight line - any other manoeuvre was life threatening).
    That's why I got rid. You could see the petrol gauge move when you accelerated. It was cripplingly expensive to run. Lovely comfy cruiser, loads of space.
  • For a glorious 6 days as an 18 year old, I owned a late 70s (older than me) E3*0 (I think 380 but it was a while ago now). My first automatic, it loved a good wheelspin from any junction and once conned me into driving at 155mph. Shortly after I swapped it for a VW camper that was a lot less likely to kill me and the two friends I was travelling with.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,744
    hopkinb wrote:
    A dog roll is a sausage batch, at least in Coventry and surrounding area! Other places might call a batch a bap, or a cob or a barmcake, or even a bridie.
    Ignoring the later postings of German rust-buckets, a 'bridie' is in no way a sausage in a roll / bap/ bread / cob or croissant. Bridie, popularly from Forfar, or going further north to ma roots min in Aberdeenshire where said delicacy is known as a bradie, the 'a' pronounced as in apple, is a pastry encased mix of indeterminate meat based product mixed with a small amount of vegetable matter, pureed down rather than remaining chunky as in a Cornish or other pasty. Pastry casing is flaky, and shape tends to the flat as opposed to the more upright and crimped on the top Cornish pasty. So there.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    orraloon wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    A dog roll is a sausage batch, at least in Coventry and surrounding area! Other places might call a batch a bap, or a cob or a barmcake, or even a bridie.
    Ignoring the later postings of German rust-buckets, a 'bridie' is in no way a sausage in a roll / bap/ bread / cob or croissant. Bridie, popularly from Forfar, or going further north to ma roots min in Aberdeenshire where said delicacy is known as a bradie, the 'a' pronounced as in apple, is a pastry encased mix of indeterminate meat based product mixed with a small amount of vegetable matter, pureed down rather than remaining chunky as in a Cornish or other pasty. Pastry casing is flaky, and shape tends to the flat as opposed to the more upright and crimped on the top Cornish pasty. So there.

I have donned my orthopaedic shoes wrt to the bridie Orraloon!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    orraloon wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Best description of a bridie I've ever had the good fortune to read. Better than Shakespeare that. Waaaaay better than a Cornish pasty. What do you call those other delicacies frae Aberdeen, butteries or something?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    hopkinb wrote:
    HP, though Bbq is fine.

Choice of sauce and/or colour is a personal preference. The only rule is NO BUTTER!!
  • orraloon
    Garry H wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Best description of a bridie I've ever had the good fortune to read. Better than Shakespeare that. Waaaaay better than a Cornish pasty. What do you call those other delicacies frae Aberdeen, butteries or something?
    Aye min, buttries (approximating nearest pronunciation) from a good baker are nirvana. No gonnae pass any big brother health fascist calorie, salt, and saturated fat tests any time soon, but they are the real deal. Go on, you know you want to.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Oh that Bridie sounds good,Clapshot i have heard of as well but not tried that either,i need to get over the wall and try some.
  • Garry H
    Oh that Bridie sounds good,Clapshot i have heard of as well but not tried that either,i need to get over the wall and try some.

Clapshot's another guid yin. Great wi oatcakes.
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Oh ...some.

Clapshot's another guid yin. Great wi oatcakes.

Oh ma boab - you really hae gan native.
  • Garry H
    Bin here o'er twenty year min.

Mind you, had a conversation in Welsh wi me pal big John tha days like.
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Bin here o'er twenty year min.

Mind you, had a conversation in Welsh wi me pal big John tha days like.

Fabulus. How's he doing?
  • Garry H
    Very well. Says he enjoyed being able to speak in his native tongue. The boy one's in same year as his girl one.
  • pinno
    You're tri-lingual !!
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Pinno wrote:
    You're tri-lingual !!

Aye he's a cunny lad
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Pinno wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Nice job. I must admit that I have never used a machine polisher. You''ll have to give me some tips.
    I do it all by hand.
    What do you use for compounding?
    I was using a cheap T Cut colour scratch remover but actually, it's not abrasive enough. Might be okay with a machine polisher.

I was recommended the 3m, 3 stage liquid compound and then, funnily enough, the Turtle Wax Premium Compound gets great reviews and came up on a detailing forum. The former is really a dedicated machine compound. I have never been that keen on TW products but I guess now, they have some serious competition and have been forced to improve:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Wax-Pre ... m+compound

Compound wise I'm using
    Poorboys SSR2 http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polis ... _1446.html

You can apply by hand with the id suggest a pad rather than a cloth something like this as most pads are designed for wax/polish

https://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product/ ... cator-pad/

Make sure you clean the car well first or even clay after cleaning to remove any extras. The compound is very easy to work in though just beware it drying its a pig to remove, little squirty bottle of water or speed detailer works wonders.
    Once youve compounded I would give it quick wash again just to remove any left over, when yo urinse it should sheet nicely as there will be far less scratches. then just polish an wax an you will have paintwork smooth to the back of your finger with far less visible swirls.

Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Saabs, perfect for scaring the crap out of you and others when you plant the right foot, Torque steer on boost its lethal more so in the wet. Steering on mines a little better the estate has a passive rear steer its also been lowered a touch and had a strut brace fitted. Still horrible on fuel think I can nudge 29mpg if I drive like a grandad.

My mapped 1.8t 220hp and 360nm torque and a very loud turbo :roll:

35935873962_c07e718cf9_b.jpg
  • Garry H
    hopkinb wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    My new star. Needs a name:

36f20132bb2b34ed4aa6e3d9088fb79c.jpg

This one is still very nice.

I am a massive heathen when it come to cars, though I do like them quick, despite rarely exceeding the speed limit. My cars in chronological order.

Ford Sierra estate. Burgundy. 2 litres.
    BMW 318i. White.
    Saab 93 2 litre turbo. Black.
    Ford Focus ST170. Electric Blue.
    Audi A6 estate. 3.2l V6. Blue.
    Seat Leon FR. White.

It's the same as mine, grey.
  • orraloon
    Is Vtech back then?
  • pinno
    Dunno. What was the question?