Bottom bracket click

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited August 2017 in The workshop
It's kind of a rant really ...
I only commute by bike twice a week and tuesday I decided to use my original roadbike - as it saved sorting out my best one (no wheels, no crank - they're on another bike) - my original roadbike is an upgraded Allez - I've got mudguards on it so I can use it as a damp weather bike ... it's still nice to ride, but not as good as the best bike.. Anyway ...
I've known the pedals have been clicking for a while, no great issue, but no time to sort it ..
then...
on the way home - click, CLICK CLICK CLICK, click, CLICK CLICK CLICK - damm - not just the pedals then - it sounds like the bottom bracket needs attention (HT2) .. roll forward to last night - I'll just pop the crank out, remove the BB and clean, regrease them ...
Loading the bike into the workstand I notice the rear mech isn't taking up the chain slack as it should - the swivel is stiff - ok, sort that one after the BB!
Crank comes off no problem, start on the left BB - wow, that's stiff ... I'm struggling with the BB tool to turn this - eventually comes off - there seems to be a load of plastic swarf left in the threads - do the right hand one - that's the same!
Eventually get them clean, clean up the whole area as there's no crank to work around, clean the crank & chainrings - hmm - outer chainring looks worn :( check the chain - 1% stretch ... arse - so that's going to need replacement too!
Popped the BB back in - having dropped a bit of oil on the threads to help them in - screwing in, then back out a bit to clean the threads - crank goes back on easily - chain could do with a clean, but no time for that now - bit of oil on the rear mech and that's freed up and working ok - quickly clean the crap off the jockey wheels & wipe down the rear wheel and that'll have to do for now.

Now to start trawling the internet for replacement chainring/crank, 10 speed chain & a couple of cassettes .... this biking malarky is expensive isn't it!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's still peanuts compared to the cost of motoring or public transport!

I find I can sometimes go a couple of years without having to spend anything on the bikes, then a tyre needs replacing and as soon as I've fitted the new one it suffers a terminal slash in the sidewall, then I find both chains need replacing at once and my RH shifter eats the gear cable again.

Then another two years of zero cost cycling...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do yourself a favour and install bottom bracket cups and pedal threads not with oil but a dollop of antiseize paste. They are the things that are subject to a lot of spray from the front wheel, but that one day you'll need to undo.

I redo mine annually as a kind of insurance
  • slowbike
    keef66 wrote:
    Do yourself a favour and install bottom bracket cups and pedal threads not with oil but a dollop of antiseize paste. They are the things that are subject to a lot of spray from the front wheel, but that one day you'll need to undo.

haven't got any .... so that's another thing on the list!
  • slowbike
    keef66 wrote:

I find I can sometimes go a couple of years without having to spend anything on the bikes, then a tyre needs replacing and as soon as I've fitted the new one it suffers a terminal slash in the sidewall, then I find both chains need replacing at once and my RH shifter eats the gear cable again.

Meh - cost of motoring isn't significant... the car costs me <£1 each way - so that's £4/week I'm not spending on fuel = £200pa ... fuel cost only because I'd still tax and insure the car anyway.(last time I used it PT cost £6 return - each day! I wonder why we all drive?!)
    Anyway - £200 - just replacing the chainset, chain & cassette will cost £100 of that - so savings halved ... and that assumes I just use this bike - whereas I've been using the best road bike quite a bit - so that'll need new cassette & chain shortly ...

I need to use the bike more to really have savings!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Slowbike wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

haven't got any .... so that's another thing on the list!
    https://www.evanscycles.com/fenwicks-pt ... e-EV308228 bought that for exactly the same reason.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,705
    Slowbike wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Meh - cost of motoring isn't significant... the car costs me <£1 each way - so that's £4/week I'm not spending on fuel = £200pa ... fuel cost only because I'd still tax and insure the car anyway.(last time I used it PT cost £6 return - each day! I wonder why we all drive?!)
    Anyway - £200 - just replacing the chainset, chain & cassette will cost £100 of that - so savings halved ... and that assumes I just use this bike - whereas I've been using the best road bike quite a bit - so that'll need new cassette & chain shortly ...

Using the car doesn't make you fitter, however. What price do you put on that?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Slowbike wrote:

but then you've got to factor in depreciation; circa £1k per year, insurance; £300 - £500 and that's before you've even moved off the drive.
  • slowbike

Using the car doesn't make you fitter, however. What price do you put on that?

£3.50 ...

rising to £3.52 next year to allow for inflation ... ;)
  • slowbike
    gbsahne wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

but then you've got to factor in depreciation; circa £1k per year, insurance; £300 - £500 and that's before you've even moved off the drive.

Fuel cost only because I'd still tax and insure the car anyway ....

Because I need it for more than just commuting - ie, transporting LSB around (He's 2 - he can't ride everywhere yet) - plus other journeys ...

and as for factoring in depression ... yes - cycling does counter that! ;)