Convert hub gears to single speed

nuvmo
nuvmo Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in The workshop
I have a hybrid bike with Shimano Alfine 8-speed hub gears. I'd like to convert this to single speed. Is it possible to do this without changing the entire rear wheel? Is it possible to just replace the Alfine hub for a single speed hub? If so, what would I need to do this?

Thanks!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just stop changing gear.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Seb K
    Seb K Posts: 23
    Nuvmo wrote:
    I have a hybrid bike with Shimano Alfine 8-speed hub gears. I'd like to convert this to single speed. Is it possible to do this without changing the entire rear wheel? Is it possible to just replace the Alfine hub for a single speed hub? If so, what would I need to do this?

Thanks!

The hub is part of the wheel so you would need to get a new hub and a SS sprocket .
  • Seb K
    Seb K Posts: 23
    cooldad wrote:
    Just stop changing gear.

Just because you cannot answer the question don't try and be a smart a** .
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Without being a smartarse I think the easiest thing to do would be to sell the bike as it is and buy a singlespeed / fixed bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seb K wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Just stop changing gear.

Well Mr 22 posts I can assure you that CD is more than capable of answering your question, unlike you, the point is that his answer is right and the easiest way to do it and actually very sensible. Besides any dumbass could spend 5 minutes on Google and find the answer.

Otherwise its a new hub (and the right length spokes) inside your rim plus the build cost (so about £50 upwards) or a whole new wheel (from about £50), both of which cost a more money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why would you do this ?

CD hs the best answer.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seb K wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Just stop changing gear.

Who died and made you a mod? I'll say what I want and if you don't like it, report it.

To make it easier for you, you do that by clicking on the little exclamation mark top right corner of the post.

I'm surprised you didn't suggest drilling holes in it, or building an unusable, wonky hub out of carbon fibre.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools