Road tubeless tyres holding pressure - a question

Bowks
Bowks Posts: 6
edited August 2017 in Workshop
I've got 2 wheelsets that I've converted to tubeless myself, a set of Spin Koppenberg MAX25 Fat Boys and the Giant SL1 that came with my TCR.

Both sets are marketed as tubeless ready, so I applied the requisite 2 layers of Stan's 21mm tape and I was able to get a pair of Schwable Pro Ones and Hutchinson Sector 28s seated them on with a regular track pump, however I am finding that the tyres lose the majority of their pressure over the course of a week. Is this something inherent with tubeless setups or have I got a few hours of troubleshooting in my future?

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    My MTB tyres did this for a couple of weeks - I just kept pumping them and riding it and now they pretty much stay hard <snigger>.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    50ml of Stans Race Fluid per wheel should work.

Always pump up to max PSI and leave overnight after spinning wheels so fluid is displaced internally.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Bowks
    Cheers chaps, I'll keep pumping and riding! THe sealant is a good call, I do need to check the sealant is still liquid on the Spins. Grubby job!
  • Make sure your valves are good quality and properly seated
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bowks
    Make sure your valves are good quality and properly seated

I used Schwalbe valves ( as they're none more black!) and I've been sure not to over tighten them. I may dunk them in a pond or bucket to test they are airtight.
  • Bowks wrote:
    Make sure your valves are good quality and properly seated

I used Schwalbe valves ( as they're none more black!) and I've been sure not to over tighten them. I may dunk them in a pond or bucket to test they are airtight.

I purchased some Reynolds rims, that came with valves/ rubbers that seated nicely in the rim. The no branded valves I had didn't sit as well.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles