Chwarel y Fan (Black Mountains)

steveqpr
steveqpr Posts: 27
edited August 2017 in Routes
Recently returned from a coupla days away in the Black Mountains. One day of which was taken by an 18 mile trip from Llanthony Priory over Chwarel y Fan.

I basically took the road south from the Priory, made my way up through Llanthony Woods and onto the southerly end of the mountain ridge and cycled north along the length of the ridge from what locals know as 'The Blood Stone' to the end, cutting across towards Gospel Pass and then dropping back down into the valley towards Capel-y-ffin and back to Llanthony Priory where I was camping.

The first part of the route was purely climbing to get onto the ridge and then it was a steady ascent on the ridge along 'paths' of varying quality (which became a little boggy the further along the ridge I cycled. Nothing un-rideable though although I'd imagine the further we get towards winter the worse they'll become). The descent into the valley was pretty technical (although scenic in terms of a nice lil' waterfall) however this could probably have been swerved if I'd have carried all the way to the Gospel Pass and descended towards Capel-y-finn from there. Weather was variable and at the highest point pretty gusty but thankfully the rain stayed away 'til I was safely back in my tent.

I use a Garmin Edge 25 and have the file if anyone fancies using it.