Bottom Bracket Adaptors

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited August 2017 in Workshop
Hi.

Just got myself a Cannondale Synapse, which I must say is a cracking bike from the first ride , but it has a FSA BB30 bearings.

I've got my self a P2M power meter (FSA Gossamer) which I'd like to put on the Synapse and understand I need a particular adaptor/reducer.

I keep looking at all these adaptors and can't work out for the life of me which is the correct one. I've even read that the spindle width of the FSA is actually 24.07mm which is wider than all the 24mm ones....

Would anyone be so kind to point me in the right direction - I'd prefer a push fit option if they're good enough.

I've been looking at this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... prod129801

TIA

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    That adapter looks perfect to me from what you've said, (it is after all the official FSA adapter) although pretty incredibly expensive for what it is.

You might want to double check the width of your existing bb30 - there are as you've found numerous standards. You'll want to make sure that yours is the original bb30 for that adapter (so 68mm wide) not BB30A or one of the other wider 30mm axle standards.
    http://www.cannondale.com/en/Internatio ... bb30a.aspx

If it is a wider standard, you might be able to reduce those adapters by machining/sawing/sanding a few MM off the appropriate side, although that in itself will be quite a job, and you'd be better finding the appropriate adapter for the standard you have.
  • venster
    Hi. Thanks for replying. It's a bit confusing because the BB is BB30 but chainset on it says BB30a. I've measured it and the width is around 68/70mm ...

Does that adapter just in to to what's already there?

I've only ever known HT2 BBs..this is all new to me :oops:
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    As per the link, bb30a chainsets can be used with either, sounds like you have a bb30 bottom bracket so are good to go with that adapter....

You might want to wait for someone else to come and confirm that.
  • venster
    Thanks TimothyW - I do get the same feeling after doing some more reading about it.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    venster wrote:
    Hi.

Just got myself a Cannondale Synapse, which I must say is a cracking bike from the first ride , but it has a FSA BB30 bearings.

I've got my self a P2M power meter (FSA Gossamer) which I'd like to put on the Synapse and understand I need a particular adaptor/reducer.

I keep looking at all these adaptors and can't work out for the life of me which is the correct one. I've even read that the spindle width of the FSA is actually 24.07mm which is wider than all the 24mm ones....

Would anyone be so kind to point me in the right direction - I'd prefer a push fit option if they're good enough.

I've been looking at this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... prod129801

TIA

Don't use that adapter. I tried them with a Rotor 3D24 with a P2M and it was terrible. You effectively lose the smoothness of the bearing as the crank axle just rotates against the shim. I think your FSA Gossamer is BB386 Mega Exo so should have a specific BB that will fit the BB30 aperture of the frame. Rotor thankfully did one for me that was years better than those plastic cups.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • venster
    I've actually had a change of heart.

I don't think I'm going to change it over - I'll sell the P2M and get a Stages crank arm so I can keep the the Spidering chainset
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    edited August 2017
    If you do change you mind - https://www.c-bear.com/

I am on over 6500 miles on my cbear 386EVO to GXP BB on the Cipo and its been ace

Cheers

MW
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    venster wrote:
    I've actually had a change of heart.

I don't think I'm going to change it over - I'll sell the P2M and get a Stages crank arm so I can keep the the Spidering chainset

I wouldn't. The P2M is infinitely better than a Stages PM.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.