Pedal grease

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I read conflicting views on whether anti-seize or grease should be used when fixing pedals onto bikes. Currently I have anti-seize that looks like a brown thick paste in a tube dispenser similar to Pritt-Stick.

As I'm overhauling my stock of degreasers, cleaners, oils, greases, etc., what is the proper compound that should be used on the pedal threads before fixing them on a bike?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Normal moly for anything that moves, anti seize for anything that doesn't.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rumbataz
    Okay, so I'll stick with the anti-seize that I already have for pedals.

What about seat posts? Grease on those, assuming non-carbon fibre frame? They seem to be an anomaly as many people use grease on those, but they don't move!
  • Matthewfalle
    Anti seize or carbon paste. The granules of copper in copper slip will prevent the post from slipping, provide the anti seize you need and allow you to reduce the tourque value required to hold the seat post in place as per carbon paste properties.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    You can use carbon paste in non carbon seat post set ups - all it is doing is providing a grippy layer that also prevents stuff seizing together.

Copper slip does exactly the same job with no issues to the carbon.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I concur. Antiseize on pedal threads. I redo them annually.

I used to use grease when I had alloy posts in steel frames, and again it was redone each year and I never had one stick.

Now I have frames and seatposts made of alloy and carbon I use carbon paste. First started using it to prevent slipping, but it's also useful for preventing the things becoming stuck. Again, a quick wipe and reapplication once a year seems prudent.
  • rumbataz
    The seat-post and frame would be alloy, so just regular grease for those? I understand on my carbon bike I would use carbon paste, but for alloy posts and tubes, regular grease?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    rumbataz wrote:
    The seat-post and frame would be alloy, so just regular grease for those? I understand on my carbon bike I would use carbon paste, but for alloy posts and tubes, regular grease?

Anti-seize for that.
  • Matthewfalle
    rumbataz wrote:

Anti seize or carbon paste for the seat post for the reasons above - you can use normal grease but then you're having to increase the tourque load on the seat clamp - you aren't going to crush anything as it's ali/ali but you're likely to with snap the bolt/seat collar whilst doing it up FT to stop the seat post slipping or leaving it so tensioned that it could snap,as you ride along leaving yourself open to ripped Gooch ebolaids disease.

Normal moly if it moves, anti seize / carbon paste if it doesn't.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rumbataz
    Okay, thanks all, I'll get some carbon paste for both bikes.