Saddle sores

barongreenback
barongreenback Posts: 229
edited August 2017 in Road general
Over the past couple of months I've started getting an occasional saddle sore (usually after a 25 mile+ ride). It's a red rub right between the fold of my right thigh and my ars* cheek. Obviously prevention is better than cure but I'm at a loss as to why this is suddenly happened. To eliminate the following:

- had bike fit earlier this year
- two pairs of decent bib shorts in rotation
- always use chamois cream
- no significant fluctuations in weight and I'm not overweight
- new bike in March but saddle came from the old bike

The only thing I can think of is that my saddle is over 5 years old (Selle Italia Max SLR gel flow) so has a few thousand miles on it.

Any bright ideas as to what I could be missing? Thanks.

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Could be anything mate...I sometimes get them a lot then periods of none at all for ages. Just sudocreme them as soon as you feel them start to come on. I wouldn't expect them to happen after a 25 mile ride though!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Do you change out of you bib shorts immediately after a ride?

I find if I sit (or walk even) in sweaty bibs I am more prone to rash and sores.

Best strategy is quick change, shower and dry boxers.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    This thread in Training, Fitness and Health might have something useful viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=13083676
  • Thanks all. Definitely changing out of sweaty bibs as soon as I can. Should be a supply of sudocreme somewhere at home.

Anyway, also a potential excuse to get a new saddle although let's get rid of the sore first :)
  • Ride out of the saddle a bit more to help with evaporation.
    Try a narrower saddle.