New chainring required

pmcclure
pmcclure Posts: 36
edited August 2017 in Workshop
Currently run Shimano Ultegra 5700 10 speed (SG-X 50F). Need a new chainring set, but am unable to source one in the 5700 series. What alternatives have I got please?

Comments

• pmcclure
    It's my eyes. Yes it is 6700
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Buy any compatible chainring which matches your bcd. Doesn't have to be 5700 or even shimano
  • Just had a look on SJS Cycles (just as a 'go to' site I go to for replacement parts) and they appear to have both inner and outer rings in Stock although you haven't stated what teeth numbers or colour you're looking for.
  • oxoman wrote:
    I suspect you wanted a 50t after a quick look around it would appear their in short supply plenty of 52 /53, however i'd go with imposters suggestion and just get compatable.
    Ah I see now. It appears the OP has a 6750 compact (the SG-X 50F) with a 110bcd rather than a 6700 with 130bcd for which they won't find a 50t ring.

SJS does have a Shimano 50/34 combo in both colours for the 6750 but as you say there are cheaper alternatives out there.
  • pmcclure
    oxoman wrote:
    I suspect you wanted a 50t after a quick look around it would appear their in short supply plenty of 52 /53, however i'd go with imposters suggestion and just get compatable.

Yes it seems that the 50 teeth ones are in short supply. Will need to check with my mate who does all my maintenance.

Thanks for all replies.
  • pmcclure wrote:
    oxoman wrote:

Yes it seems that the 50 teeth ones are in short supply. Will need to check with my mate who does all my maintenance.

Thanks for all replies.
    I can say with almost absolute certainty you will not find a 50t shimano ring for a 6700 as the 6700 has a bcd of 130mm where 52t tends to be the minimum for an outer ring. If it is a 50t ring you're wanting to replace then you most likely have a compact 6750, to which the code SG-X 50F applies, which has a bcd of 110mm and for which 50t shimano rings are freely available.

I'd make sure you know which bcd you're dealing with rather than just rely on the generic group number.
  • pmcclure
    if I upgraded to 11 speed would I have to buy new shifters?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    pmcclure wrote:

It's a 'yes' from me.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    pmcclure wrote:

If you mean 5 bolt 11sp chainrings then no, if 11speed mechs then yes
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Most of the time it's just cheaper to buy a new crankset than to buy individual chain rings.

Remember also that Ultegra prices have plummeted in light of the release of the new Ultegra so bargains to be had.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.