Share opinions on frame sizing.

Padang
Padang Posts: 25
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi fellow riders
Getting my first roadbike, previous from mtb.
Interesting on the specialized allez 2018 rb.
I'm about 163 cm (5 feet 4 inc) with 75 cm (29 inc) leg inseam.
The staff suggests a 52 size, for comfortable and easy adjustment.
But i thinks i would be comfortable on 49 size, for the reach and tt is much shorter and less stretching.
Asking opinions before purchasing one.
Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    WTF does 'comfortable and easy adjustment' mean?

You should not be 'stretched' at all!

I would vote 49........ but as its a Specialized, and your Specialized dealer says 52, get the 52 :twisted:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Padang wrote:
    Hi fellow riders
    But i thinks i would be comfortable on 49 size, for the reach and tt is much shorter and less stretching.
    Thanks.

52! That's almost 54cm virtual top tube length and far too big a stretch. I say 49 and smaller if they make it. I'm 5'6" and ride 49 frames on both my Meridas (who make frames for Specialized) giving virtual top tube lengths of 51cm and run 90mm stems. That gives me a nice easy reach to the hoods, drops and top of the bars.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Padang
    philthy3 wrote:
    Padang wrote:
    Hi fellow riders
    Thanks.

52! That's almost 54cm virtual top tube length and far too big a stretch. I say 49 and smaller if they make it. I'm 5'6" and ride 49 frames on both my Meridas (who make frames for Specialized) giving virtual top tube lengths of 51cm and run 90mm stems. That gives me a nice easy reach to the hoods, drops and top of the bars.

Yeah i kinda think like so
  • Padang
    Carbonator wrote:
    WTF does 'comfortable and easy adjustment' mean?

You should not be 'stretched' at all!

I would vote 49........ but as its a Specialized, and your Specialized dealer says 52, get the 52 :twisted:

And yes, i respects the dealer since he himself is a rider and spends more time with rb bikes.
    I do ask to try a 49 size, but he put me on a tarmac which kinda come with different geometry compare to allez 2018 which more to roubiax model.(don't if he have 49 allez 2018)
    I text around other specialized outlets here mentioning my 163cm size and all suggestions 49 frame.
    Maybe i ought to try other specialized outlets for 49 size.
  • Padang

I do online reading and measurement for rb, come out results suggesting a frame between 49-52, mybe i ought to fit both size?
  • StillGoing
    Padang wrote:

I do online reading and measurement for rb, come out results suggesting a frame between 49-52, mybe i ought to fit both size?

Always go with the smaller frame if between frame sizes. You can make a small frame fit, but not a big frame.
  • Yes you are in between sizes for spesh. We are a similar height/inseam, I ride a 52 but I have a low stretched out position on the bike. As you are new to road biking I would suggest a size 49, you can always change stem length, saddle height as you get used to it.
  • Padang
    Yes you are in between sizes for spesh. We are a similar height/inseam, I ride a 52 but I have a low stretched out position on the bike. As you are new to road biking I would suggest a size 49, you can always change stem length, saddle height as you get used to it.

Oh my, thanks for the sharing, yes it kinda stretch a little bit to reach the hoad, i forgot to test the position on the drop..
    but if you could make it using 52, then that might be what the spesh dealer seen on me, potential to go low after sometimes using rb.
    Are u comfortable in the 52?
  • Are u comfortable in the 52?

Yes, 52 is the correct size for me. I run an 11cm stem with one 5mm spacer under it, so quite a low and long position. I have been riding a road bike for nearly 20 years and am very used to riding in this position. If you need a 9cm stem or shorter to get comfortable then 52 might be too big. Go with what feels comfortable, if you buy a bike based on the possibility you will get used to it then you are taking a big risk.
  • Padang
    Wow 20 years, that a lot of riding experience, will test ride 49 of the spesh model soon,. Thanks.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The smaller frame will have a shorter head tube - this might be why the dealer is suggesting a 52?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Padang
    I don't think so, at the geo state handlebar 70x125mm, only the frame state difference measurement.
    The dealer said 49 is too fit and could restrict some movement and sitting adjustment, also the drop could be more narrow due to short headtube. I think that what he mean.
    But for me the shorter the reach the better, 49 to 52, different in reach is 374 - 376.
  • The smaller frame will have a shorter head tube - this might be why the dealer is suggesting a 52?

Yep, you are right, the main difference between the two sizes is the stack height rather than reach, the stack on a 52 is nearly 2 cm higher than the 49. This is why personally I don't ride a 49 as the frame felt too low (I had about 10 inches of seatpost sticking out which was too much for me and quite a lot of standover clearance).
  • StillGoing
    The smaller frame will have a shorter head tube - this might be why the dealer is suggesting a 52?

Yep, you are right, the main difference between the two sizes is the stack height rather than reach, the stack on a 52 is nearly 2 cm higher than the 49. This is why personally I don't ride a 49 as the frame felt too low (I had about 10 inches of seatpost sticking out which was too much for me and quite a lot of standover clearance).

The virtual top tube length is still going to be longer on the 52, by about 2cm.
  • Padang
    Svetty wrote:
    My mistake, i thought he mean 'shorter stem', yes that right, the dealer said i will be too low and fit in the cockpit if go for 49.
    the stack is 49/535 - 52/552.
    Both stack and reach hv different within 2.
    It seem between been more 2mm on low or stretch.
  • Hi already get the allez with 52, doing some tune up with the stem and sizing the ride is good this few km, will looking forward for more ride.
    Thanks for your opinion and experience sharing.