Road bike for the Big and Tall

gmkleuser
gmkleuser Posts: 25
edited August 2017 in Road general
Hello to all,

A buddy of mine is interested in getting into cycling for some general conditioning. I have a few years experience as a bike mechanic and I have agreed to help him put together a build. We have agreed that for what he wants to do a used road frame with a a flat bar and trigger shifters would be ideal. This is where it gets fun...

My buddy is very tall. 7 feet tall (213 cm). This is not exaggerating like, "man he is like totally 7 feet tall!" The guy is literally 7 feet tall. While he is not overweight, he has an average build for his height which means he is weighing in at around 280 pounds.

Anybody had any experience in this situation? I know that ideally we would have a custom frame built but I am not sure that that will fit into his budget. We aren't talking about a tiny budget, but I am not sure we are talking custom frame budget either.

As someone who rides a size 54 frame, I am lucky enough to fall right into the average size for everything and thus have no experience seeking out the right or difficult to find sizes. I know that 62cm is about the largest frame we are going to find "off the rack." Is there a way to get a 62 to feel comfortable for this guy.

Any input you got is welcome. The guy is also aware that with his size finding a perfect fit is a difficult task. At the same time he is looking for something that works "good enough" and will let him get some aerobic exercise.

Cheers

Comments