Quick question about the Wahoo Element Bolt

Palladium
Palladium Posts: 81
edited August 2017 in Road general
Is it at all possible to make a custom screen that shows me my avg power for a period of time, i.e a small segment in my whole eide?

For example: lets say I'd like to do a session where I do:
1min x 500W
5min x 250W
2min x 400W
5min x 200W
repeat x5

Would it be possible to press a button on my device which will effectively be a 'lap' button, so that I can see during my 5minute effort if I am averaging above or below 250W?

Asking because I just got a power meter, and I'm finding it nearly impossible to hold 250W, it fluctuates far too much!

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Yes.

You can create custom pages, there are available fields like 'Avg Power (lap)', 'Avg Power 1 Min', 'Avg Power 5 min' etc and there is a lap button.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Palladium wrote:
    Is it at all possible to make a custom screen that shows me my avg power for a period of time, i.e a small segment in my whole eide?

For example: lets say I'd like to do a session where I do:
    1min x 500W
    5min x 250W
    2min x 400W
    5min x 200W
    repeat x5

Would it be possible to press a button on my device which will effectively be a 'lap' button, so that I can see during my 5minute effort if I am averaging above or below 250W?

Asking because I just got a power meter, and I'm finding it nearly impossible to hold 250W, it fluctuates far too much!

You're better off setting your device to read 3s, or even 10s average power. Trying to hold an exact wattage is nigh on impossible I find.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Thanks for your replies!

@Pete- I had a look and couldn't find any lap buttons! I can only find the lap bit but it says 'visible after first lap', but the point is that I'd like to start the lap whenever I'd like! Furthermore, I couldn't find any lap buttons even when I started my ride, or find any videos explaining it.
    https://image.ibb.co/kr7ZNQ/unnamed.jpg

@philthy3- I might just do that, when trying to hold 300W I often see it vary between 200-350 :( maybe with a 3 sec avg it will smooth it out a bit.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Palladium wrote:
    Thanks for your replies!

@Pete- I had a look and couldn't find any lap buttons! I can only find the lap bit but it says 'visible after first lap', but the point is that I'd like to start the lap whenever I'd like! Furthermore, I couldn't find any lap buttons even when I started my ride, or find any videos explaining it.

@philthy3- I might just do that, when trying to hold 300W I often see it vary between 200-350 :( maybe with a 3 sec avg it will smooth it out a bit.

During a ride hit the left hand button at the bottom which says "LAP" on it.

You can customise lap data page with whatever you want, so Lap Ave Power example.
    can also have it show Previous Lap Ave Power and data from the last one.
  • cgfw201 wrote:
    Palladium wrote:
    Thanks for your replies!

During a ride hit the left hand button at the bottom which says "LAP" on it.

You can customise lap data page with whatever you want, so Lap Ave Power example.
    can also have it show Previous Lap Ave Power and data from the last one.

okay, i shall have another look!
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Can you do a lap based on location - so each time you pass the same point it counts as a lap ?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    To be clear, the LAP button is on the Wahoo itself. It's only labelled once you've started a ride IIRC.
  • Thanks Peat, managed to find it, indeed it is on the screen, on the left hand side.
    I think i created too many pages today, got a bit lost with wayy too much data on my screen, but I'll get there!

Thanks all!
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    They also launched a new Workout mode this week, worth looking up as will do most of what you need (if you have TrainingPeaks/TodaysPlan).
  • Palladium wrote:
    I might just do that, when trying to hold 300W I often see it vary between 200-350 :( maybe with a 3 sec avg it will smooth it out a bit.

Welcome to the world of training with power! One of the first things you realise is how much your power output varies even when you think you are simply riding along on a flat road. As you get more in tune, you'll be able to control it better, but think of it as more of a "zone" of 20W or so rather than exactly 300 watts. Three second average power is a good metric to display.
  • Palladium wrote:
    I might just do that, when trying to hold 300W I often see it vary between 200-350 :( maybe with a 3 sec avg it will smooth it out a bit.

Welcome to the world of training with power! One of the first things you realise is how much your power output varies even when you think you are simply riding along on a flat road. As you get more in tune, you'll be able to control it better, but think of it as more of a "zone" of 20W or so rather than exactly 300 watts. Three second average power is a good metric to display.

Yup, very true. I've been getting on a lot better with 3sec avg.
    cgfw201 wrote:
    They also launched a new Workout mode this week, worth looking up as will do most of what you need (if you have TrainingPeaks/TodaysPlan).

Anyone used this yet? I saw they had two options for the FTP test, the 8-minute test or the 20 minute test, both lasting an hour with warm-ups/short intervals.

Any reason to pick the one over the other?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Palladium wrote:
    Palladium wrote:

Yup, very true. I've been getting on a lot better with 3sec avg.
    cgfw201 wrote:

Anyone used this yet? I saw they had two options for the FTP test, the 8-minute test or the 20 minute test, both lasting an hour with warm-ups/short intervals.

Any reason to pick the one over the other?

Personal preference. Coaches have a preference for one or the other and it all depends who you speak to as to the validity over the other, which is why i say go with your own personal preference.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.