Fork Fluid or Lube?

richard36
richard36 Posts: 346
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I've read it's good practise to put some fluid/lube on the stanchions on a regular basis.

Is there a difference between fork fluid and lube? I was going to buy some fluid in order to do a lower fork service (after the winter) and if it's the same as the fork lube (I'm assuming it is) I was going to smear some fluid on the stanchions in the meantime each time I clean them. Would this be okay or is something like Juice Lube the way to go?

Thanks

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I use Juice lube .. its awesome, it turns everything it comes into contact with in to a frictionless beast .. the down side of using oils I have found is it attracts dirt, dust, grit etc which get stuck on the forks and imbedded in the seals .. Juice doesn't seem to do this though

the down side is though I bought it in a spray can .... now my brakes, saddle, handle bars are completely frictionless as well .. as is the garage floor, the door handle
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Fork Juice, but hold the can close to the stations when spraying them to avoid fat daddy’s problems. :wink:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Where did you read/hear this?
    I've not come across this in any fox or rockshox manual.
    There is a foam ring as part of the seal inside the forks which I understand to lubricate the stanchions.

Adding oil will hold dust that will wear the surface.
    I think you are better off keeping the seal clean, use a cloth and a toothbrush to remove any dust on the seal
  • richard36
    richard36 Posts: 346
    It was mentioned in a GMBN video on Youtube. The guy said he regularly put fork lube on his stanchions. I've since watched another Youtube video (different guy) who says lube shouldn't be applied for the reasons you've mentioned O2GF74.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    02GF74 wrote:
    Where did you read/hear this?
    I've not come across this in any fox or rockshox manual.
    There is a foam ring as part of the seal inside the forks which I understand to lubricate the stanchions.

Adding oil will hold dust that will wear the surface.
    I think you are better off keeping the seal clean, use a cloth and a toothbrush to remove any dust on the seal

Juice lube isn't an oil .. its basically silicon, the idea is that dust and grit DOESNT stick to it and get dragged in to the seals.

you don't need it, well serviced forks and proper cleaning and you wont notice the difference.

BUT

wipe Juice lube on your frame and the mad just falls off it, your shocks stay clean, old forks don't stick on the chattery small bumps, new forks are no longer stiff ..... honking great DH forks act more like XC forks on the smoother stuff as there is less friction to over come.

Its just a lube .... but on my ageing fleet its a lube that works ..... I also use on the motorbike and the front of the car and after a hot sunny run, the bug splats just wipe off rather than needing to be chiselled

Its a crap lot of silicone in a spray bottle
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Big can of silicone spray from Screwfix.
    Spray after ride, wipe off with crap.
    Spray again and leave until next ride.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130