Awful home mechanic seeks assistance with stuck brakes

hantstooflat
hantstooflat Posts: 122
edited August 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
My 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo has sat in my front room for 12months now. My situation allows me to start riding again so went to wheel it to the shed for a quick check and both the front and rear brakes are seized on.

The pads seem to be locked on to the discs and there is no play in the levers. The brake is the Elixir 5 RSL the bike came with and the rear is and Avid XO which was replaced after a crash just before I last rode the bike.

Is there anything I could try to remedy the situation before having to take it to the LBS? Everything else seems fine, tyres, dropper, etc.

Any help much appreciated.
“Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”

Comments

• iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I don't know if it would be the same but a friend of mine had a similar problem, it was caused by the hot weather had seemed to expand the brake fluid seizing the brakes on, he cracked the bleed nipple released the pressure and all was fine again.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Elixir brakes, although very good performers, are a complete PITA when the weather is hot.
    As said above the brake fluid expands and locks the brakes on. The only solution* is to bleed a little fluid out of the system. The downside of this is that you may need to replace the fluid when the weather gets cooler again.

*The real solution is to bin the brakes and fit Shimano ones.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Nice one thanks
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Avid and Hope brakes suffer from this. Can be due to heat or by left standing round.

Pull on the lever and slowly undo the bleed port to let out a bit of fluid. This avoids letting in air
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I had the same on some Hayes HFX9 brakes, combination of heat and water absorption (they use DOT 4). Cracked a little drip out and all good. Then of course I replaced the fluid when I got around to it.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere