Shimano 4600 GS RD and 34t cassette

mcstumpy
mcstumpy Posts: 298
edited August 2017 in Workshop
Hi

I've just ordered a 4600 GS RD to replace my current 4600 SS as will be using the bike in question for a bit of off road with some very steep stuff and want a lower gear than 34-28. Shimano spec says 32t would be max with the GS. However, I've read that shimano specs are on conservative side, and I've also read reports of others getting 32t to work fine on SS derailleurs. So with that in mind.....would I get away with a 34t with the 4600 GS RD?

Thanks

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Seeing as you have ordered the GS model there is one way to find out. Fit the cassette and screw the B-tension screw in and see if you can obtain the required clearance. Do that before you fit the chain and gear operating cable, and check it is all going to work with the bike in the workstand. I would avoid using the big/big gear combination though.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Thanks, that makes sense (or did after I looked for YouTube vids on b screw adjustment.

Failing that I'll go with 9 speed mtb long cage derailleur as I believe that will work with 10 speed road shifters (in my case r770 trigger shifter) and handle a 11-34 cassette