Canyon Endurace upgrade path considerations

graemevet
graemevet Posts: 61
edited August 2017 in Road general
So, the summer is drawing to a close here in Scotland and the winter bike is about to come out of hibernation.

The summer best bike is a Canyon Endurace CF (Shimano 105) that has done 3 years of hard labour now (including L2P and Paris-Geneva) and is starting to feel a bit 'baggy'. I've already got a nice, light (1400g) set of handbuilt wheels. I like the rest of the bike, it fits perfectly, I'd just like to lighten it a bit and give it a bit more 'wow' factor.

I'm planning a full strip and rebuild over the winter, re-cable, clean, degrease, regrease etc. I'm also looking at giving it a bit of a spruce up with a new groupset now that funds allow, relegating the 105 to the winter bike. I'd really like 165mm cranks as I'm a shorty. I also like the idea of r8000 with the 34t rear cassette!

I'd appreciate some advice on the options that are open to me:
1) Mechanical DA 9000 (like the aesthetics) or 9100 (pig ugly)
2) Mechanical Ultegra r8000 (as ugly as 9100)
3) DI2 of some sort - how easy would this conversion be? r8000 series or previous generation?
4) SRAM Red eTap wireless - overkill and not sure about SRAM really.

Any opinions?

Graeme

Comments

• 3 months of Autumn follows summer in most parts or the world.

You're riding an Endurace, there is no WOW factor.

If you think R8000 & 9100 is ugly there is no hope for you.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • 3 months of Autumn follows summer in most parts or the world.

You're riding an Endurace, there is no WOW factor.

If you think R8000 & 9100 is ugly there is no hope for you.

Bit harsh !

I can only comment on the DA 9000 mechanical as it's a great group set and I have that on my Cannondale, I'm not a fan of how SRAM feels having tried it but that's just me, so I'd say you need to have a test ride on a bike with that before investing.
  • OK, I appreciate autumn lasts 3 months but if it's anything like the current summer, it'll be grey, cold, wet and better suited to the winter bike with mudguards on.

Im sorry if my boring choice of bike isn't suitable for any upgrades but as I said it fits well and has looked after me well over the last few years. I guess the new Shimano aesthetics are an acquired taste, just not to my liking and visually I prefer the da 9000 series.

Happy for function to lead form if needs be, would just like informed feedback on my options, particularly the details of changing to di2 if anyone has done that.
  • redscouse
    redscouse Posts: 157
    had my endurace for 3 years ..still love it apart from the creaks..going up ventoux on it next week...I'd check di2 compatibility on that frame from 2014...might need some conversion kit...looking forward to hearing how you get on. major change for me was swapping wheels for cero ar30's...lightweight like yours
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez