New tyres for winter 28's

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
My tyres are in need of a change a few cracks appearing. I would normally use 700x23's but as you probably already know, are roads are in a shocking state. I use to ride 23's (too harsh) then I moved to 25's and now I'm wondering would it be a less harsh of a ride with 28's ?.
The last few years I've rode Rubino Pro slicks and I've had one puncture and that was outside my house so I always get the same. The problem now is, I can't find any 28's Rubino Pro slicks. Are there any bargains to be had 28's ?, I'm more bothered about grip and puncture resistance over weight and speed, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    in 28 I am fond of the Conti 4 seasons ..... but they are not a patch on the 32mm Gator Hardshells ... Now a lot of people say that the hardshells are crap .. perhaps they are at 25mm possibly at 28mm .... but at 32 mm they roll over anything and grip as well as anything else in the wet.
  • Bergwerk
    Bergwerk Posts: 50
    I've had great experiences with the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season's in the winter. 25 and 28 both do a good job.
  • Quite happy with 28c Grand Sport Races so far, achieved one of my silly targets for 2017 on them, getting to work in sub-15mins on the Wazoo.:D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks for the advice , does anyone ride 28mm rear 25mm front ?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Schwalbe Durano Folding? £18.99 atm

Not tried them though....
  • I've gone with the consensus and opted for Continental 4 season 28's, £63 a pair from Sigma I will let you know my thoughts once i've a few hundred wet n dry miles on them and thanks for your thoughts
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Michelin Pro 4 Endurance 28's would be my pick.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... d|485108UK

£26 at CRC at the moment

Been riding them for the past year on my PX Pro Carbon and can't fault them. No p******re fairy visits to date. Smooth running and robust.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    arlowood wrote:
    Michelin Pro 4 Endurance 28's would be my pick.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... d|485108UK

£26 at CRC at the moment

Been riding them for the past year on my PX Pro Carbon and can't fault them. No p******re fairy visits to date. Smooth running and robust.

What he said.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I ended buying some Conti 4 season 28's and gave them a go over the weekend. I was very impressed especially with the grip but not only that, it took some of the sting out the harsh back country lanes I ride on.

I was hit my a car from the rear last year and I'm still suffering physically and abit mentally due to the nature I was hit. The guy just drove onto a large roundabout at speed and straight into the back of me. At the time I was 10 metres clear of were he entered and he hit me doing 30 while I was doing 20.

Anyway, because there was nothing I could do to stop this from happening I have been riding over cautious and the tyres (25's Rubino pro's) weren't giving me the same feel at these new Conti's. I would ride that extra foot or so the gird to avoid the rougher surface due to the tyres not quite up to it therefore pushing me that bit more into the road and the following traffic so in turn I was always on pins and never relaxed and enjoyed the ride.

With the Conti's offering far superior grip and a far smoother ride over the rough surfaces I'm not dodging the smaller nicks and cracks in the road and I feel a lot more confident like I use to do before getting hit. I'm well happy and hopefully I can get back to for health and start to enjoy my rides alot more.
    Thanks for all replies , much appreciated