New to cross.

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited August 2017 in Cyclocross
Just got my first cross bike last week and did my first off road ride on the weekend, I got lost several times, ended up back where i started which was not my intention, rode into a spikey bush, and generally had a blast! was great exploring parts of where i live that i would never have seen otherwise.

I can see what all the fuss is about now.

I have an ex demo Felt F5x with a Sram mixture on there and felts own brand wheels with tubeless tyres (Vittoria front and a Kendra on the rear). Got it cheap and its heavy but its a good foray into off road i feel.
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• Welcome to the mud club!

Get yourself down to the local CX races and it's a whole new level of fun/pain. Easily the best, most welcoming race scene I've been involved with!
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I'm in the same boat as you Jesse, just recently got my CX bike.

Went out to Richmond Park and got lost. Rode into a bush. Stacked it on a descent. Great fun!

Shall be out exploring on it this weekend also. Gunna be a fun winter!
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • JesseD
    Welcome to the mud club!

Get yourself down to the local CX races and it's a whole new level of fun/pain. Easily the best, most welcoming race scene I've been involved with!

We have a local series starting in October which is basically cross racing mixed with BBQ's and beer, seems like my kind of events, I fully expect to get my arse kicked but am actually looking forward to it.
  • JesseD
    Ryan_W wrote:

Went out to Richmond Park and got lost. Rode into a bush. Stacked it on a descent. Great fun!

Sounds like my Wednesday ride, went out with the guys from my LBS who I know well and they took me on traiols i would never have found, I stacked it on some rocks (have the cuts and bruises to show for it) rode through some nettles and thorn bushes after not being able to turn in sand but had a brilliant time, will be much more fun that riding round cold wet lanes in the winter for training.
  • Ryan_W wrote:

Get yourself over to Esher Common and connected trails Ryan, not far from RP but so much more fun with loads of different trails and terrain to try your CX bike on.
  • Ryan_W wrote:

Get yourself over to Esher Common and connected trails Ryan, not far from RP but so much more fun with loads of different trails and terrain to try your CX bike on.

there are some nice CX loops out from kingston to BoxHill mostly off road.
  • I take my CX bike across all terrain to get used to the difference from the road and particularly like the woods. I started racing 2 years ago and there are plenty of beginner races in central CX league. I upgraded to the senior race and finish towards the back but it's an hour full tilt riding.