Coated Cables

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
edited August 2017 in Road general
My "best" bike seems to have plastic coated cables which has made the indexing as smooth as silk for the last few years. I've only had to make small adjustments on on of the barrel adjusters. When it comes to replacing the cables on this and the bike I want to use the same stuff. But I don't know what they are.

I've take a couple of photos and they are in here: https://goo.gl/photos/5vvLrBMymx5aJbFx8

Any ideas?

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Is it a newer Shimano groupset - 5800/6800?

If so, I think it's the PTFE coated stuff.

FWIW, I loved the PTFE cables to begin with, but when one failed and I needed a quick fix I replaced with a cheap non coated cable and the shifting was as good as before. I think the newer derailleurs deserve most of the credit the cables get.
  • navrig2
    Dinyull wrote:
    Is it a newer Shimano groupset - 5800/6800?

If so, I think it's the PTFE coated stuff.

FWIW, I loved the PTFE cables to begin with, but when one failed and I needed a quick fix I replaced with a cheap non coated cable and the shifting was as good as before. I think the newer derailleurs deserve most of the credit the cables get.

Yes it's 6800.

Do they come with PTFE coating as standard or has the retailer "upgraded" me without me asking?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Ah, just realised it's polymer coated - not PTFE.

They come as standard with 5800/6800/9000. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... d|470515UK

Still, as I said before I haven't noticed any difference with £1 LifeLine cables from wiggle.
  • navrig2
    Thanks.

I've had the bike for almost 4 years and the feel on the shifter when I change is still very smooth. I would have expected it to have deteriorated over the 4 years which makes me think they are better. Whether they are worth £30 more is a different matter I guess!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    They are better when new but the polymer does slough off over time. Some people say that this then makes them stick or catch but I've never really noticed this - YMMV as they say.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Normal ones - i.e. From the big box in the shop - are equally as good as the ridiculously expensive Gore ones. I won't be buying them again, I know that much.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.