One Bike to Rule/Replace Them All...

markgoldstein
markgoldstein Posts: 146
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I've been an enthusiastic follower of the N+1 rule for the last few years, but I'm now thinking of reducing my fleet, and maybe even trying to run just one bike all year round.

My all-time favourite bike is the Cannondale Supersix Evo HM - I've currently got a 2015 model with SRAM Red 22.

Here's my list of requirements for the ideal single bike option:

- on-road only (no gravel requirements)
- suitable for everything from fast 3 hour club-runs to more sedate 300km audaxes
- 25mm tyres in summer, 28mm tyres with full mudguards in winter (Raceblades don't really cut it for group riding)
- "relatively" lightweight (hopefully sub-7kg)
- aggressive endurance geometry, rather than full-on race (my Supersix is a 54cm frame with the 25mm headset cap fitted)
- ideally SRAM Etap groupset, if buying a stock bike
- disc brakes

Possible candidates so far are the new Cannondale Synapse, which in terms of fit has a very similar stack/reach to my Supersix if it's possible to use a 10mm headset cap.

And...ermmm...any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    How about a Resolution from Mason Cycles? https://masoncycles.cc/products/resolution-frameset, if you buy it as a F+F only or a 'Rolling Chassis' as Mason calls it that includes the seatpost and Hunt wheels you can build it up with a SRAM Etap disc groupset (which is what I'm about to do). It'll take 30mm tyres with mudguards and 33mm without, the only thing on your list it doesn't satisfy is the sub 7kg requirement as it's steel it's going to be a bit heavier.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's left-field and I'm sure there are now lots of alternatives, but the Volagi Liscio 2 would fit that bill perfectly. Added to which, you'd never see another. My original Liscio is just as quick as my Foil but it will take much bigger tyres and guards.

If I have to keep just one bike, my Volagi would be it and, to be honest, I'd probably not notice. I bought the Foil because I was living in NL during the week and I bought the Renegade because the Foil's rim brakes were destroying the wheels on the muddy Cotswold lane winter commutes. In fact, now you've put the idea in my head, I might even downsize.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    How about a build with a Kinesis Gf Ti disc frame, as reviewed here...
    http://road.cc/content/review/172125-ki ... c-frameset

Might be a struggle to get it under 7kg without a big spend (although if you're talking ETap then the budget can't be too shabby) but otherwise ticks all the boxes.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Volagi Liscio 2

That's a nice looking bike. How much are they?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • After a lot of research and much use of this stem and reach calculator (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=94384), I've come up with the following short list:

Cannondale Synapse 2018
    +potential for lightweight eTap build (maybe below 7.0kg)
    +room for 28mm tyres, even with proper mudguards fitted
    + more "comfortable" frame features/geometry
    - reach is actually 6mm more than my current Supersix 2015 with a 100mm stem (will I notice the difference?)
    - it's going to cost full RRP (£6.5k for eTap build), at least until next Autumn's inevitable sales
    - not available until late October in the UK

Focus Izalco Max Disc eTap 2017
    + 6.8kg for the eTap build, easily potential for sub-6.5kg
    + much "racier" than the other options
    + almost the same stack and reach as my current Supersix
    + room for 28mm tyres
    + currently "only" £4k in the 2017 sales
    - can't fit proper mudguards
    - have to use 10mm headcap and 20mm spacers to get the correct fit
    - not the most exciting bike to look at

Cervelo C3
    +room for 28mm tyres, even with proper mudguards fitted
    + more "comfortable" frame features/geometry
    + frameset is currently on sale for £1200
    - I can't find out the correct fork length (390mm?), which is not helping with choosing the frame size
    - probably have to choose a 51cm frame with a 120mm stem/no spacers to get the correct fit (if the fork length is 390mm)
    - not too sure about the final build weight with eTap, could be 7.5kg?
    - marmite looks

Canyon Endurace Disc
    + 7.2kg for the eTap build (£5k in the sale)
    + more "comfortable" frame features
    + room for 28mm tyres
    + reach is 4mm shorter than my current Supersix, which might help accommodate the bigger brake hoods?
    - can't fit proper mudguards
    - apparently have to buy stock small bike, send the integrated bars back to Germany, then swap them for the right length/width!

Custom Titanium Disc
    +can specify correct fit, mudguard mounts, tyre clearance etc
    +more "comfortable" ride feel
    BUT
    - weight will be at least 8Kg - too heavy for a "one bike fits all"?

ATM, I'm kind of leaning towards the Focus Izalco Max Disc - it's the closest bike to my Supersix in terms of ride feel/geometry, offers enough tyre clearance for all-year use, has the potential for the lightest build out of all the options, and is the cheapest too. I think I could compromise on the mudguards, spacer stack an dull looks in return...maybe!

Or I might go with plan B, which is upgrade my current Supersix to eTap and buy a cheaper, heavier companion bike for winter...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Plan B sounds better to me .....

One bike to rule them all has one massive flaw and reason why it just doesn't work. Take the following scenario

you have 1 bike and it does everything, .. races, tours, Cx, even does DH, XC and goes on snow .... but what happens when you want to ride the other bike ??????

you need more than 1 bike
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    At the risk of reigniting another war of words with weight weenies, why are you so hung up on a sub 7kg build? It's your cash of course and I'm not intending this as criticism, but is it just for bragging rights when people lift it up at the cafe (as people tend to do with bikes) or is their a specific reason whereby the weight trumps all other considerations that say an 8kg handbuilt steel or ti might meet?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Why not just keep the EVO as your only bike if you like it so much?
    If I had one bike, I'd get a CAAD12 105 or ultegra with removable mudguards.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Shortfall wrote:
    At the risk of reigniting another war of words with weight weenies, why are you so hung up on a sub 7kg build? It's your cash of course and I'm not intending this as criticism, but is it just for bragging rights when people lift it up at the cafe (as people tend to do with bikes) or is their a specific reason whereby the weight trumps all other considerations that say an 8kg handbuilt steel or ti might meet?
    This, or plan B.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shortfall
    I didn't see Plan B cos I was skim reading but it seems like a good compromise.
  • Shortfall wrote:

The weight certainly doesn't trump all the other considerations, I just didn't neccessarily want to replace my 6kg Supersix with a bike that's 2kg heavier without good reason (if I go with plan A).
  • Singleton wrote:
    Why not just keep the EVO as your only bike if you like it so much?
    If I had one bike, I'd get a CAAD12 105 or ultegra with removable mudguards.

Because the tyre clearance is poor, no disc brakes, and no mudguard mounts.

• Yep, saw that, signed up for more details. They're just down the road from me too in Hither Green, SE London.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    Plan B sounds better to me .....

One bike to rule them all has one massive flaw and reason why it just doesn't work. Take the following scenario

you have 1 bike and it does everything, .. races, tours, Cx, even does DH, XC and goes on snow .... but what happens when you want to ride the other bike ??????

you need more than 1 bike

Hehe good point!!!
  • Rourke 953 custom build
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • shortfall
    Shortfall wrote:

The weight certainly doesn't trump all the other considerations, I just didn't neccessarily want to replace my 6kg Supersix with a bike that's 2kg heavier without good reason (if I go with plan A).

Well in that case something bespoke will tick every box except weight. It's up to you how important 3 or 4 lbs would really make to your riding. From personal experience I would say not much.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    The original disc synapse was a joy to ride, mine came in at just over 7.1kg so new version will easily plunge below 7kg. Might be worth waiting for.
  • The original disc synapse was a joy to ride, mine came in at just over 7.1kg so new version will easily plunge below 7kg. Might be worth waiting for.

What was the groupset and wheels on your Synapse?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Rourke 953 custom build
    I agree, think I'd rather something like 953 than Ti for a bespoke build.
    Although plan B does make sense, it's always good to have another bike.