Wear/Rust/Pitting on Crank Spindle ( Hollowtech 2)

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited August 2017 in Workshop
Hi.
The crank spindle (prowheel) that came with the bike currently looks quite worse for wear (I think) - pics from a month ago when I first saw the problem.
Img1.jpg IMg2.jpg

The bike originally came with a prowheel ounce hollowtech 2 bottom bracket, but that died in the first 3 months, and I've now got a Shimano 6800 bottom bracket in there.

It's done approx. 3500 km in all weather, and less than a year old... Is this something I need to worry about?

Im re-seating the BB tonight with anti-sieze, and will grab more pics, hoping that's all it is, but can't imagine this is good for it...

[Edit] - Image Hoster changed
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Personally I'd clean it up and not worry too much - looks like surface corrosion. I would, however, make sure there's plenty of grease there in future.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I can't see the pictures.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    No pics here either. I'd just lightly sand the corroded section with wet and dry then coat it with grease
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Pics show up fine for me which is unusual because I'm on a fairly heavily controlled network
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • wolfsbane2k
    Changed the image hoster .. was google, now postimage.

And thanks MRS. I think I was nervous about too much grease in there last time, so probably didn't apply enough - any grease just seems to become grinding paste so quickly, and the daily shallow ford crossing doesn't help keep it there I guess.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Looks like whatever surface treatment it used to have isn't there any more. When assembled, is that bit of the spindle sitting inside the bearing or is it in the crank?

Either way, I'd probably degrease it, give it a rub with some fine emery cloth, then paint on some rust eater type stuff (but only cos I have some sitting in the garage) Allow it to do it's stuff, wash and dry then reassemble with the aforementioned grease.

Even left as it is, it's going to be 2039 before the steel spindle is corroded to the point of failure...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    and the daily shallow ford crossing doesn't help keep it there I guess.

:shock: :shock: No BB will last any time if it's getting submerged regularly.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • wolfsbane2k
    Svetty wrote:

:shock: :shock: No BB will last any time if it's getting submerged regularly.....

The BB doesn't hit the water at all - the ford is only 4 to 5cm deep, more like a puddle. Any deeper and I get off and walk across the bridge.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Boeshield is the best stuff I've come across for preventing corrosion on steel parts. Squirt a small amount on the exposed part of the axle after the crank is fully assembled. I also spray Boeshield every couple of years inside the several steel frames that I still ride and let the excess drain out - it inhibits any internal corrosion.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Svetty wrote:

The BB doesn't hit the water at all - the ford is only 4 to 5cm deep, more like a puddle. Any deeper and I get off and walk across the bridge.
    But the water off the front wheel will be jet washing the BB area, that is why a smear of decent grease is crucial.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Years ago I used to fit a mudflap on bottom of front mudguard purely to keep crap out of BB. So in the intervening 50 years doesn't seem we've progressed at all.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.