Brompton Spec

manx_cat
manx_cat Posts: 52
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, just wondering what gearing I should choose and what suspension?

Not many hills where I live although there are some so I would like a 3 speed or 6 speed, does anyone know if the highest and lowest gear on both are just the same and the rest inbetween?

Also I am about 90kg so which suspension should I get?

Thx.

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I got a Brompton a while back, my logic on gearing was -
    - 3 speed or 6 speed, very little weight or price diff, once you go 3 you might as well go 6
    - there's a hefty weight penalty to go from 2 spd to 3/6, mainly because the rear hub changes. So really the decision is whether you should go 2 or 6, (I discounted single).
    - whether 2spd is enough depends on your terrain and fitness. I'm a reasonably strong cyclist and I'm either riding the Brompton in central London (you don't need gears) or to and from the station. My return journey has one hefty hill, but it's only 400ish metres of proper effort and I can muscle the bike up that.

So I went two speed, for me it's the right trade off between weight and gearing. I can get up everything I ride without too much trouble, top end I start to spin out at around 28mph but that only really happens on one descent for me.

Suspension always go firm.
  • I bought my Brompton ahead of an anticipated job and house move and opted for the standard 2017 M6L from Evans Cycles.

Given the route I commute I'm glad of the range of gears and, as posted above, the cost difference is minimal.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've the 6 speed as that's what came on my edition. It can get me up a hill that's got to be about 20%.
  • manx_cat
    Stueys wrote:
    - 3 speed or 6 speed, very little weight or price diff, once you go 3 you might as well go 6
    - there's a hefty weight penalty to go from 2 spd to 3/6, mainly because the rear hub changes. So really the decision is whether you should go 2 or 6, (I discounted single).
    - whether 2spd is enough depends on your terrain and fitness. I'm a reasonably strong cyclist and I'm either riding the Brompton in central London (you don't need gears) or to and from the station. My return journey has one hefty hill, but it's only 400ish metres of proper effort and I can muscle the bike up that.

So I went two speed, for me it's the right trade off between weight and gearing. I can get up everything I ride without too much trouble, top end I start to spin out at around 28mph but that only really happens on one descent for me.

Thanks, I like the lighter weight of the 2 speed, but just can't see that having no inbetween gears on a 2 speed would be ok.
  • stueys
    manx_cat wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

Thanks, I like the lighter weight of the 2 speed, but just can't see that having no inbetween gears on a 2 speed would be ok.

It depends on (I) you as a rider and (Ii) the terrain. For my journeys and fitness it's fine, I've got one proper climb coming home where it's basically uphill for 3.5 miles with one section running 6-9% grad for a few hundred metres. I can either stick in top gear and muscle it or drop to the lower gear and spin, it depends how much of a rush I'm in. Normally I average 15-16mph on that journey on the 2 spd. Around town then the higher gear is fine for everything, I ride it as a single speed then.

Most bike shops let you test ride, so maybe try one? I went to cycle surgery in town who had pretty much every option there to lift and try. Equally if in doubt more gears is probably safer.....
  • Mertyn
    Mertyn Posts: 51
    I have the 3 speed, the hub is heavier however I feel it fits into the brompton ethos well. It's been bombproof for the past 18 months used daily. Very little messing about needed.

The six speed basically combines the 2 speed derailleur with the 3 speed hub and I've heard it's a bit counterintuitive to use but don't have experience of it.

Personally I'd vote 3 speed for ease of use and low maintenance.

I'm 75kgs and I went firm, always go firm on suspension.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    3 speed is plenty, they are very widely spaced. 6 speed will be moreexpensive and heavier to carry. 2 speed is the best, as it's cheaper and lighter and it's not a hub gear system. There is a table on the Brompton website with all the gear ratios

Never noticed any difference between firm and normal suspension.

The standard tyres are robust enough, no need to spend more for the Marathon in my opinion. Kojaks are too weak
    left the forum March 2023
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    cougie wrote:
    I've the 6 speed as that's what came on my edition. It can get me up a hill that's got to be about 20%.

If it's a road section, it'll be sign posted since it's over 10%.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • cougie
    Strava has it at 18.9% so I wasn't far out !
  • manx_cat
    Does the 6 have more range than the 3? Like the lowest grear is lower and the highest gear is higher?
  • ugo.santalucia
    manx_cat wrote:
    Does the 6 have more range than the 3? Like the lowest grear is lower and the highest gear is higher?

Yes

?name=gearing+chart.JPG
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    cougie wrote:

How do you keep the front wheel down? When I had my (hateful) Brompton, I was forever lifting the front wheel away from the lights on the flat.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ugo.santalucia
    cougie wrote:

How do you keep the front wheel down? When I had my (hateful) Brompton, I was forever lifting the front wheel away from the lights on the flat.

Maybe different bars or longer seat tube... also, you are quite big... all weight on the rear wheel. Surely they make one with disc brakes and Di2
  • cougie
    I've the s so maybe lower bars ? I've also got the longer post though and ride at the top of that. Never lifted the front wheel as far as I can recall ?
  • stueys
    cougie wrote:

I've s-bars and extended seat post (at max height) and have yet to lift the front wheel. Did you put a chopper saddle on yours? :D