Different take up of Strava across countries

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,926
edited August 2017 in Road general
I was on a ride yesterday in the Department of the Lot in southwest France and soon after I'd started I came across a group of about 15 just near the top of a cat 4 climb I was about to descend. Very soon after I was overtaken by another group of about 20 (not the same lot I saw climbing) and I tagged on the back for around 5 miles until we went our different ways (they all seemed friendly and seemed to have no problems with me joining them).

After I finished the ride I uploaded to Strava and thought I'd use the Flyby feature to see who they were and where they were going.... Zilch, not a single one of them showed up on Flyby. I'd consider both of the groups I saw as "sporty" riders but as far as I can see none of them was using Strava.
I knew the French never used Strava so much but I was surprised to find that seemingly none of 30+ riders were usuing it.

It got me wondering about other countries.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• Dabber wrote:

I think the U.S.A use it a bit
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    don't forget you can turn your flyby to private so essentially all 30 of them could have been using strava, probably not though :):)
  • dabber
    Dabber wrote:

I think the U.S.A use it a bit

I have the distinct feeling you could be right about that :shock:

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber
    benjamess wrote:
    don't forget you can turn your flyby to private so essentially all 30 of them could have been using strava, probably not though :):)

Good point but, as you say, all 30 probably not.

• Could it be they were all old school and didn't have a GPS unit on their wrist or handlebars?!
  • dabber
    No, not old boys (like me) 20's, 30's.....nice bikes, but never noticed or looked at whether they had GPS units. We were going along at about 24 mph on the few miles I was with them.

• Dave L
    Dave L Posts: 251
    It's interesting looking at the Strava challenge results, which can be broken down by country.
    e.g. The July Cycling Distance Challenge had a total number of participants of 199,090
    Selected countries participants numbers...

USA 23,684
    UK 31,158
    The Netherlands 7,030
    France 6,918
    Italy 6,803
    Australia 5,143

It's interesting to see the UK higher than the US. Can there really be more Strava users in the UK, or are UK Strava users just more likely to sign up to challenges?
    Dave
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Was expecting NL to do well in that list. "English-speaking" (which, by default, the Dutch almost all are) nations dominate.

The French are quite likely to have their own thing. The French are a bit like that.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Dave L wrote:
    It's interesting looking at the Strava challenge results, which can be broken down by country.
    e.g. The July Cycling Distance Challenge had a total number of participants of 199,090
    Selected countries participants numbers...

USA 23,684
    UK 31,158
    The Netherlands 7,030
    France 6,918
    Italy 6,803
    Australia 5,143

It's interesting to see the UK higher than the US. Can there really be more Strava users in the UK, or are UK Strava users just more likely to sign up to challenges?

There's a little bit online about this too, this article from 2015 from a guy who did some manual sampling http://markslavonia.com/stravas-global- ... -sampling/

Screen-Shot-2015-04-07-at-8.26.53-AM-1024x457.png

This suggests more users overall for the USA but the UK members seem more likely to be "active" members - which seems to make sense given the challenge figures above.
  • The important thing to consider is if they waved at oncoming cyclists
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    The important thing to consider is if they waved at oncoming cyclists

And if they obeyed Yanto Barker's "rules" in an attempt to reach his approval and therefore be one of his "disciples".

The people need to know this stuf I think.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • The important thing to consider is if they waved at oncoming cyclists

And if they obeyed Yanto Barker's "rules" in an attempt to reach his approval and therefore be one of his "disciples".

Does he recommend FKW, or just for his own brand of clothing? I'm confused.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Isn't fly-by turned off by default now? I looked at mine was disabled...it meant I couldn't view others fly-bys but means I wouldn't show up.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    The important thing to consider is if they waved at oncoming cyclists

Does he recommend FKW, or just for his own brand of clothing? I'm confused.

Just his own brand. Must be the superior quality of the technical fabrics and ultra modern styling that any true cycling fashionista and disciple of his mantra will appreciate.

Either that or the profit margin. One of the two. Not sure which one really but I don't want to seem cynical.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    In Cyprus is by far the most used tracking software like 90%