Defy Advanced 1 vrs Defy Advanced Pro 2 - 2017

tjw_78
tjw_78 Posts: 41
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Any thoughts on whether the Defy Advanced Pro 2 is worth the extra money over the Defy Advanced 1, given its 105 rather than Ultegra? Both bikes are heavily discounted at present, which brings the Pro 2 into my price range (just).

Comments

• Just got the Defy advanced 2 in red. £1420 bargain! Not sure i would pay more for Ultegra the 1 has the same RS505 shifters anyway. I think the pro just adds carbon steerer and different bars and stem.

Wouldn't the 2 and upgrade the wheels be better?
  • tjw_78
    Welshjim22 wrote:
    Just got the Defy advanced 2 in red. £1420 bargain! Not sure i would pay more for Ultegra the 1 has the same RS505 shifters anyway.

How do you find the RS505 shifters? I've seen mixed reviews.
  • Yeah seem comfortable for me but i saw similar reviews. Worth a test ride. As for shifting not sure i can tell a difference from my old bike with 105 shifters but i dont have much experience to go on.
  • To be clear my advanced 2 is not the pro model.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Pro models feature OD2 headstock, full composite OD2 fork steerer, bearings and stem. The Ultegra models have the nicer less bulky looking ST-RS685 STI.
  • tjw_78
    DJ58 wrote:
    Pro models feature OD2 headstock, full composite OD2 fork steerer, bearings and stem.

Does this justify the extra cost, and is it worth it?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    As I have used neither type I can't honestly say, however if I was looking to purchase a discounted model I would be making my decision after looking and trying both types of STI in the shop. For me aesthetics as well as feel and functionality are important, I like the finish on the Ultegra groupset. Whether the extra cost is justified, only you can decide.
  • tjw_78
    oxoman wrote:
    To be fair after trying both the only difference I could tell was the pro is a bit faster off the line with the lighter wheels. http://s-tec-essence.eshop.t-online.de/ ... d-Pro-1/en

That's useful, thanks. This might suggest its also a little quicker up the hills, which does appeal to me. But then, I could just get replacement wheels for the Adv 1.