Lube problem

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
I use Squirt lube, and recently read this:

"I tried Squirt for a week. I cleaned my chain with an ultrasonic cleaner, let it dry completely and then applied it to my chain twice as instructed. The next day I went for an 70mi ride, but the the chain was getting noisy by mile 40. Also this lube is supposed to just fall off along with the debris that it picks up, but it gets into hard to reach places such as between the cogs and chainrings and in the rear derailleur cage. The mechanics at the local shops hate cleaning drivetrains that have been used with wax lubes...ultrasonic cleaners and regular degreasers don't really affect it at all."

Should I change lubes?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It's up to you.

I have been using Squirt for about 4 years with no problems at all.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    JBA wrote:
    It's up to you.

I have been using Squirt for about 4 years with no problems at all.

Same as above.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've been using it since they started. No problems ever and won't use anything else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I wouldn't have thought a wax lube would last for 70mile ride?

I've used it before but now use finish line dry chain lube a lot of the time and never any issues but I clean bike chain in some paraffin much cheaper than those degreaser tins you buy in bike shops.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The lube inside the rollers is the only useful stuff - why wouldn't it last?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    cooldad wrote:
    The lube inside the rollers is the only useful stuff - why wouldn't it last?

well most of it goes on the outside of the rollers in the middle bit of the chain, I guess if your doing ride this long to apply a thick layer of wax over the chain to avoid the dry chain sound.

any one make there own wax lube like the aussie guy on youtube, I couldn't be bothered personally and wondered if anyone had some good results.