Giant Contend 2 or Btwin Triban 520

Kingofthenorth
Kingofthenorth Posts: 3
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm a beginner to road biking but have used a single speed for years as a form of commute, now I wish to buy a road bike so I can take the sport more seriously. My budget is around 500 as I feel that as a beginner this should be enough. I was wondering whether I should get the Giant Content 2 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/contend-2) or B'twin Triban 520 (https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520- ... E#v2163635). I am really looking for speed and value for money and know the B'twin is popular for this but have also heard from users that the wheels and brakes may need replacing in the near future after buying the bike, but the Giant doesn't have enough reviews from the general public for me to make fair judgement. I will mainly use the bike for light commute (only a couple miles) and short club runs on the weekends (30 miles), however this will likely increase in the future. I was wondering if any of you would be able to look at the components and geometry of the bikes and suggest which one is better, all help is appreciated, thank you :D .

Comments

• I agree with OXOman
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • oxoman wrote:
    Both are decent bikes the contend is giants updated version of the aluminium defy hence not many reviews. The Btwin is also a decent bike which a lot of people buy as a starter bike and upgrade or relegate to a commuting bike when they get better ones. For me either will do the job it's whether you want a triple chainset or double chainset as the overall gearing works out similar. The brake thing you mention is relevant to all bikes and that is normally to swap the brake blocks to better quality ones for better braking.

Thanks for the reply! What's the difference between a triple and double chainset?
  • Fypo
    Fypo Posts: 24
    It's how many chainrings you have, a triple will give you a wider range of gears and also a lower gear but aren't very popular on road bikes, they also are quite heavy compared to double chainsets.
  • I had an aluminium Giant defy ( the model the Contend replaces). Loved it. Replaced with new carbon Giant defy 2017 disc. The defy has always had good reviews. The Contend is effectively the same bike with a 1cm shorter wheelbase. I don't know about the Btwin but i would go Giant for brand if all else equal.
    I have researched the contend and found several reviews online. Maybe not the same groupset but again youtube will have reviews of them aswell.

20% off Giant at Giant stores at present.
  • rieko
    rieko Posts: 121
    I also had the Aluminium Giant Defy and I absolutely loved it. Perfect starter bike for anyone looking to get into road cycling in my opinion, and I would recommend one to anyone who's looking at an entry level bike.

I've not tried the contend but I imagine it s near enough the same, but updated. My LBS has started to discount 2017 models so you should be able to get a good deal!
    Giant TCR
    Giant TCX
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Have a look at Boardman road comp at Halfords
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -bike-2016
    £560 as it is discounted £140 at the moment as it is an end of line model.The spyre disc brakes are well thought of.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    The Giant Contend has a lower bottom gear, 34T - 32T 8sp (2.1) compared to the BTwin 520 30T - 25T 9sp (2.3).