Ridley Helium 40 or better alternatives?

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited August 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am very close to taking the plunge on a Ridley Helium 40 (yes in the blue). Before I fork out the best part of £2000 on it, does anyone own one or has experience of them and how they stack up?
I have test ridden it, like it and will upgrade the wheels.
Are there any other alternatives that I should be wise to consider? E.g. the TCR or super six evo etc? Any suggestions are welcome.

Bike link is below for reference.

Thanks

https://www.slanecycles.com/ridley-heli ... gIdTPD_BwE
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Looks like a nice bike. Ridley make some great frames, and at least you won't see too many others around. Go for it!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Merlin Nitro is reportedly a rebadged Ridley Helium SL and is a bit cheaper. If you're a brand snob it might not be for you but you get a lot of bike for the money and a better spec than the Ridley.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitne ... sl-review/
  • Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    You know you want one really - you just need that extra push to place the order. I've got one in blue as well and am really pleased with it. It's a great bike in every way but you'd know that already as you've test ridden it. There's loads of TCRs SuperSix EVOs out there but you won't see many bikes like that Helium on the road. It really is a thing of beauty. Slightly off topic but I noticed one thing in the link you've posted the picture has the bike with DA but in the spec that's not what you actually get. I'm sure you'll be aware of this having seen the bike in the flesh. Get it bought - you won't regret it.
    Luke
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Thanks for the input guys.

After some though , I am really not convinced by the Ridley. Nice frame but the wheel set is poor for the money, group set isn't full ultegra , brakes are just normal shims no and even the cabling isn't all internal.
    I enjoyed the test ride and it does ride well but I haven't got that wow factor from it for £2000.

Thinking there is better value out there. Even from the direct to market sellers such as Ribble or Canyon.

Any good suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Thanks for the input guys.

After some though , I am really not convinced by the Ridley. Nice frame but the wheel set is poor for the money, group set isn't full ultegra , brakes are just normal shims no and even the cabling isn't all internal.
    I enjoyed the test ride and it does ride well but I haven't got that wow factor from it for £2000.

Thinking there is better value out there. Even from the direct to market sellers such as Ribble or Canyon.

Any good suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    See above. Merlin is a pro level Ridley frame with full Ultegra and Fulcrum Quattros for ££££s less than the Ridley.
  • Paul Milnes is also bringing in new old stock Ridley frames and re-badging them. Merlin is possibly one of the best deals out there right now. But the Giant TCR is also a cracking bike.

You can get Di2 now for a penny under 2k https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-nitro-sl-di2-carbon-road-bike-2017-98952.html
  • For something good and light I would recommend Dolan Tuono with Ultegra and your choice of wheels. Unfortunately I don't think it comes in blue
    I want to climb hills so badly;
    and I climb hills so badly