Inflating deep section wheels Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc

sh-g
sh-g Posts: 30
edited August 2017 in Road beginners
Hi guys/gals.
I've just bought my first bike with deep section wheels. It's still in it's box waiting for me to assemble it in 10 days time when I can get down to Spain where it's waiting for me.
I've been reading a lot of comments on inflating deep section wheels and it's starting to concern me.
The bike is a Canyon Aeroad CF SLX disc.
Am I right in saying that to inflate the tyres I have to unscrew/remove an extension valve. Then unscrew the Presta valve as normal. Replace the extension valve. Inflate the tyre as per normal. Remove the extension valve. Tighten the Presta valve. Then replace the extension valve???

Really look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• Road beginners, Canyon Aeroad CF SLX.

I'm out
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sh-g
    Road beginners, Canyon Aeroad CF SLX.

I'm out

Not a beginner SloppySchleckonds. Just new to deep section and have read a few comments from people which have caused me to "wonder".
  • Just get tubes with longer valves, problem solved.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    sh-g wrote:
    Road beginners, Canyon Aeroad CF SLX.

I'm out

Not a beginner SloppySchleckonds. Just new to deep section and have read a few comments from people which have caused me to "wonder".

nowt to worry about, the bike will have the required valves necessary from the factory for you to inflate the tires.

it might be worth taking a tube out and seeing what they done re extensions or not, so your spare will be compatible unless you can buy an inner with a valve long enough, 80mm should do it.
  • sh-g
    mamba80 wrote:

nowt to worry about, the bike will have the required valves necessary from the factory for you to inflate the tires.

it might be worth taking a tube out and seeing what they done re extensions or not, so your spare will be compatible unless you can buy an inner with a valve long enough, 80mm should do it.
    [/quote][/quote]

Thanks Mamba80. That was my thinking as well.
    But as I mentioned, I have read so many conflicting comments about extender valves I was beginning to feel confused. Extender valves hasn't been a subject I have chatted with mates on during club rides. :shock:
  • Fypo
    Fypo Posts: 24
    What would be the point of the extender if you had to remove it to inflate the tube? The tubes that are in the bike might not even have a valve extender anyway, I would assume they put in tubes with a long valve since the bike comes with deep section wheels.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    There are two types of valve extenders. One where you remove the core from an existing tube and replace with the extender. Bit of a pain as you need a small tool to remove/tighten and not all tubes have removable cores. The other simpler one is just a tube you screw carefully over the valve after loose it the presta nut. Can leave this in place or remove it it can rattle. Just Lee ace the presta nut unloosened. I tend to take a tube with an 80mm valve and the simple extender tube. That way you can borrow a tube if you get a double puncture.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    edited August 2017
    You will get valve extenders in the box and you will also get the wee valve tool with them. The process is:

Use the valve core removal part of the tool (the ovalish hole) to remove the core.
    Screw in the extender into what remains of the valve in the tube and use the other part of the tool to tighten the extender.
    Take the removed valve core and screw this into the extender using the part of the tool that you removed it with.
    Make sure it's all done up tightly to avoid leaking air.
    Fit the tube and inflate.

Also - to avoid valve rattle it's worth slipping some electrical tape over the valve and onto the rim. You can also buy rather cool black rubber things that do the same job but a lot better.

If you have to buy extenders the valve tool comes with the vast majority of them.
  • sh-g
    Thanks for all the great replies. I really appreciate them.
    So now, it's just a matter of assembling the bike and riding off into the sunset :D:D:D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I always use a tad of plumbers PTFE tape (or, as recently discovered, a small blob of instant gasket) on the thread between valve and extender - holds it all in place without having to do it up really tight and splitting the valve extender, airtighter.

As above though - if your running tubes, just go for 80mm tubes, tubulars go for good quality extenders - they won't split and the tops will be milled to hold the pump head on better.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • If it's of any use I've got the new Ultimate disc with the Mavic Cosmics and they are absolutely fine to inflate with a track pump straight out the box. Worth making sure you've got spare tubes with right length valves. Nothing beats the panic of putting in a tube and realising that the valves rattling about in the rim!