Shimano Claris R2000

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited August 2017 in Road general
New 8 speed group seems to have arrived without much fanfare.

Can't find that much info about it.

Internal cable routing.
No more octolink spline BB.

ST-R2000-R_STD_S1_2110-900_v1_m56577569831041519.png.swimg.detail.png

FC-R2000_50-34_STD_S1_2110-900_v1_m56577569831041345.png.swimg.detail.png

Looks like 4700

Comments

• Fypo
    Fypo Posts: 24
    So now every groupset has internal cables, guess that means everyone who swears by external cables at the shifters can't buy a modern groupset anymore.
  • Great to see internal cable routing tricking right down the Shimano range now.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fypo wrote:
    So now every groupset has internal cables, guess that means everyone who swears by external cables at the shifters can't buy a modern groupset anymore.

Hate (lie) to say I told you so lol

Can we please hear what exactly all those people plan to do now.

They were so mouthy about external cables if anyone dared say higher (more expensive 8) ) groupsets were better and recommended them to people who asked.

My guess is that they were talking out of their poor sorry ar5es and will love them now!

It's the lever shape that will be the most important improvement though. The old Claris and Sora (which are still on bikes in shops) groupsets should be avoided for this alone!
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I like DT shifters but hard to get cheap/decent frames with the frame bosses now :(
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    To be fair about the external cable debate, shimano's first efforts at internal routing were pretty ropey.

105 5700 would become sticky within weeks of new cables in my experience. The 11 speed groups (and 4700 tiagra with new pull ratio) are miles better.

I've got the older tiagra with external routing (4600) on my wet bike - hard to see internal routing ever being preferable for a hack bike given the added complexity of cable changes.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Moonbiker wrote:
    I like DT shifters but hard to get cheap/decent frames with the frame bosses now :(
    I'm at a loss to explain why you can't get downtube shifters that screw into downtube barrel adjuster holes.

If anyone is aware of such a product I'd be interested to hear. Downtube shifters are even better for wet bikes...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    market for down tube shifters is too small to make it worth while making something like that. also the mount area is small and that might make the mount liable to fracture. most people who want D/T shifter use an old or custom frame. most people who buy a modern frame want modern shifters hardly anyone in between.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TimothyW wrote:
    To be fair about the external cable debate

It's not a debate, they are nearly all gone now, never to return.
    Grab a sale bargain if you really think they are that great.

It will be a good day when all the old Sora and Claris levers are sold through IMO.
    Tiagra proved that.

Nostalgia is great, but to abuse the progression that creates it is madness.

People often seem to pick a technological point in the sand based on their finances rather than the real qualities of the product, then defend the line vigorously, then completely go back on what they have said when the tech they slagged off becomes affordable to them.