Rounding off Edges on Ice-Tech Disc Brake Rotors

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited August 2017 in Workshop
After gouging my hand for the third time whilst cleaning my bike, I'm looking to round off the edges of my Shimano disc brake rotors. They're Shimano RT99 Ice-Tech rotors with an aluminium core sanwiched by two plates of steel that make up the braking surfaces. Can I just go at the edges gently with a light file, or am I going to be running the risk of the rotor delaminating? I'm a bit wary given the forces and heat that they're subjected to so just wondering if anyone else has already done something similar?

As a side-note I can totally see the protests from the pro peloton regarding the safety of discs. I've cut myself three times on them now, all in very inocuous circumstances; the latest was a light brush of my hand whilst I was cleaning my chainstay and it still took a chunk of skin out! I've no doubt that some discs are safe, but on my two in particular, the edges seems extremely sharp and the aluminium core is ever-so-slightly recessed, making the outer steel plates slightly more prominent and dangerous.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think the pro rules only allow rounded off discs.
  • buckmulligan
    They do now, they didn't when Fran Ventoso's leg was gouged open.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    They do now, they didn't when Fran Ventoso's leg was gouged open.

Which was never demonstrated to be a disc brake...

I've never damaged my hand on my discs but I have on my chain rings.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with rounding off on Ice-Tech rotor except gently running some Wet&Dry around the corners to dull them if you think they are sharp.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I've no doubt that some discs are safe,.

to be fair ... ALL discs are safe ... it sounds like you however are not !!!! :mrgreen:
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    frabz-is-it-safe-425004-jpg.155419
  • buckmulligan
    Thanks guys, all very helpful replies!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    I've cut myself three times on them now, all in very inocuous circumstances; the latest was a light brush of my hand whilst I was cleaning my chainstay and it still took a chunk of skin out!
    I think we can all learn from this, cleaning bikes is dangerous so I will continue to avoid doing so.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am already there. Some else can spill blood cleaning mine.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.