Campag 9s ST Veloce to Chorus crankset swap...HL not high enough

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited August 2017 in Workshop
One for the retro chaps I suspect but I swapped out a 9s square taper Campag crankset as the old Veloce one was looking a bit tired/scuffed. I thought I could do a straight swap with a beautiful Chorus equivalent (same 9s ST, standard double crankset with the same sized rings, 53/39, and cranks) but the high limit on the Veloce FD is now not setting high enough, even when the HL screw is fully wound out. It isn't a cable tension issue as I cannot get the front mech over enough with the cable off and using my hand to shift across (with no chain).

I can get a replacement 9s Chorus front derailleur to swap out the current Veloce one on there but I wouldn't have expected to have to do that (and would rather not spend the cash if I don't need to). I have checked/adjusted the FD alignment as it was pretty bad previously (far too high and not quite parallel) but these adjustments came after the problem so were not the cause (I thought it might be related so figured I would give a go...but to no avail). Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Chorus uses a 102mm bottom bracket, Veloce 111mm.
  • Bobbinogs
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Ahh, damn. Is the solution a new BB?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Ahh, damn. Is the solution a new BB?

Yes it is. The longer Veloce BB pushes the Chorus crank out too far.
  • Bobbinogs
    Makes sense. Thanks MM. New (old) BB ordered for £30 so not such a bad hit.