Noob Question for a Noob Rider

arfinding1996
arfinding1996 Posts: 5
edited September 2017 in Road beginners
Hello everyone, I hope all is well. I went on my first official training ride this morning and let me tell you it's way harder than it looks. Fortunately, I managed to make it to my 10-mile milestone. I just have one question that I hope some of you more experienced riders can help me out on. I live in a relatively hilly area and those hills were just killing me. I could not figure out which gear selection is best to use for climbing. If it helps, I am riding on a 2004 P2K Cervelo TT bike equipped with a Shimano 105 10s groupset. Now, I know a TT bike isn't the best option for a beginner but it's all I have right now.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Gear selection is personal it depends on a lot of factors.
    Try and keep your leg speed constant throughout. Use the gears to enable this. So aim for 80rpm. Go to easier gears as you encounter uphills.and harder gears on the way down.

Cycling is easy so you're probably not using the gears properly.

Check out the GCN YouTube channel. They have helpful stuff on there.
  • Fairly new to Road bikes myself and find gearing use much diferent to my MTB. Watched a few of the gcn videos.
    Advice I've gleaned is big ring up front for downhill and fairly level flats. On the rear once you get to the 4th largest cog drop down on to the small ring on the front, may want to go up 1 or 2 on the rear.
    For undulating and uphill stay in the small on the front . Looking ahead and plan the gear you think you need in advance.
    Working for me as a Base point.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,967
    Think of it as driving a car. Change down when the revs drop and the engine is labouring, change up when the engine is over revving. There is no hard and fast "correct" gear. Especially when the engine output is variable. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Do NOT wear long socks
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Think of it as driving a car. Change down when the revs drop and the engine is labouring, change up when the engine is over revving. There is no hard and fast "correct" gear. Especially when the engine output is variable. :wink:

Except always look to be looking to change down (easier) rather than up.
  • JGSI wrote:
    Do NOT wear long socks
    I had some cycling socks on dont worry.
  • cougie wrote:
    Gear selection is personal it depends on a lot of factors.
    Try and keep your leg speed constant throughout. Use the gears to enable this. So aim for 80rpm. Go to easier gears as you encounter uphills.and harder gears on the way down.

Cycling is easy so you're probably not using the gears properly.

Check out the GCN YouTube channel. They have helpful stuff on there.

I see. I'll check them out as soon as I can. Thank you very much, good sir.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

Wow I never thought about it that way. I drive a manual car so I can see how this can help. Thank you!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For going up hill smallest cog at front and largest at back is the easiest.

To go fast the opposite is fastest largest cog at the front and smallest at back, assuming you can pedal fast in that gear !
  • Zmac31
    Zmac31 Posts: 34
    JGSI wrote:
    Do NOT wear long socks
    Why not?
  • Zmac31 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Do NOT wear long socks
    Why not?
    'Cos it looks stupid when you see people wearing footie socks whilst cycling (triathletes).

Also to the OP, maybe check your gearing ratios as TT bikes don't usually have a big enough range for steep hills.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If you haven't already got one fitted to your bicycle, try a 12-30T CS-4600 or CS-6700 cassette.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    As initimated above, the TT bike may not be equipped for hills - by its nature.
    TT bikes often have a lowest cog of 25 on the back. Most bikes on hills would have at least a 28. Maybe a 30 (less common) or a 32.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I am pretty experience rider (for a weekend warrior) and i live also in a hilly place. You will not survive on the hills without changing your crankset to compact the cog at least on 28 teeth. The cog is cheaper, (around 50-70 euros) so do that by Monday.

The goal is to keep spinning on around 70 per minute and above. The correct gear is the gear that allows you to do that.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Zmac31 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Do NOT wear long socks
    Why not?
    'Cos it looks stupid when you see people wearing footie socks whilst cycling (triathletes).

Also to the OP, maybe check your gearing ratios as TT bikes don't usually have a big enough range for steep hills.

Those will be compression socks which apparently help with circulation or recovery or strains or something. That said I agree, they look stupid.

But we are talking about grown men/women wearing ridiculously tight, stretchy and thin material with no kegs or knickers on. Not sure that stupid looking socks are a real issue ;-)
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    To the OP, read this:

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12583566
  • Zmac31 wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Do NOT wear long socks
    Why not?
    Nonsense. Long socks are perfectly fine provided you wear the bib shorts shoulder straps over the top of your jersey.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?