Cruiser bikes - a new concept?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited August 2017 in Road general
Whilst browsing for shorts for fatties like me, I saw an advert for 'cruiser' bikes. I've never heard of them before. They seem to be basic, budget bikes for leisure riders who don't take cycling too seriously. The seating position is very upright and relaxed (excellent for pot bellies! :mrgreen: ).

Are cruiser bikes a new thing? The styling is lovely and they just seem like bikes you'd just get on and ride for fun here and there.

The pricing and specs suggest budget components.

What the deal with cruiser bikes? Are they bikes that should never be mentioned on cycling forums? :mrgreen:

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Been known simply as "bikes" for decades.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • If you're gonna get a cruiser best to go the whole hog and start dressing as Pee Wee Herman.

They're old hat re-imagined based upon bikes like old 40's Schwinns or the not quite so old beach cruisers of California and Miami.
  • Not sure if serious.

But anyway, everybody should have a Cali beach cruiser in their fleet!

Pink-beach-cruiser-bike.jpg

:-)
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    ^ I would love one of those. And maybe that bike too. :mrgreen:
  • Definitely not a new thing, you could almost class my Wazoo as an extreme cruiser when in fat mode, also the 3-speed Specialized Centrum(?) from ~2009.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Definitely not new. My lbs was selling them 10 year's back and they've been around in the US since the 50s. More form than function I think.